Term limits?

Discussion in 'Politics Discussion' started by gmckee1985, Oct 13, 2014.

1. gmckee1985

gmckee1985 Senior Investor

Do you support or oppose the idea of term limits for federally elected officials? I've been a big proponent of this for a long time. I would say officials elected in the House of Representatives should get three two year terms, and Senators should be restricted to serving one six year term. What say you?

2. caparica007

caparica007 Well-Known Member

I agree on that, when people stay too longer in power I feel that they lose perspective.

3. Thejamal

Thejamal Guest

There are certainly pros and cons to each side of term limits, but I think i'd come out more on the side of pro term limits simply for the reason as it takes the reelection campaign and pining for votes out of the politicians job description. To me, that's one of the major issues are government faces is that everyone in office only worries about how voting on certain legislation will affect them in the next election. I'd like to see our politicians actually do something and not necessarily just cater to what's popular in public opinion to stay in office.

4. Determined2014

Determined2014 Guest

For some reason I think the two year terms is alright, I feel like it gives them enough time to fullfill the empty promises that they give us.

5. Gelsemium

Gelsemium Senior Investor

Yep, less than two years in fact what can one accomplish? I think it's an adequate time as well or else their actions cannot be completed.

6. gmckee1985

Two years may be a bit too brief. You may not get a lot of qualified people to run if it's only for that period of time. I think six years is plenty. Enough to make a difference, but not too long as too foment corruption as it currently the case. These lifelong politicians like Charlie Rangel and Harry Reid are just repulsive to me. They become some arrogant and out of touch.

• Like Like x 1
  7. JR Ewing

JR Ewing Super Moderator Staff Member

I agree that term limits that are of reasonably length but not overly long would be better for we the people. The Reids, Rangels, Pelosis, et al are proof that term limits are needed.

8. gmckee1985

We wouldn't need term limits if we had a more engaged and informated populace. Unfortunately people seem to be coming less informed, rather than more informed. Despite all the technology out there that allows people to learn more than ever before at quick speeds. It's pretty sad. So term limits will have be instituted to overcome the ignorance of the general public.

9. JR Ewing

JR Ewing Super Moderator Staff Member

Yeah, it's really frightening to see what's happening to so many Americans (and our country) because of their own willful ignorance. The media doesn't help matters, and universities and public schools are turning more and more into leftist indoctrination centers.

10. gmckee1985

I can't say I disagree with you, JR Ewing. We seem to be on the same page on most political matters. The progressive bias on college campus isn't doing much for our populace in terms of being informed and educated, it seems. People aren't very informed on other political ideologies other than the progressive side of things, it seems. I think there should definitely be more conservative and libertarian professors on all of the college campuses across the country.