Term limits?

Discussion in 'Politics Discussion' started by gmckee1985, Oct 13, 2014.

1. gats

gats Senior Investor

I believe term limits are a good way to prevent dictators. Theoretically, one ultra wealthy person could take control of a country for his lifetime if there were no term limits.

2. gmckee1985

gmckee1985 Senior Investor

I don't think a dictatorship is very likely in the United States, regardless of whether we have term limits or not. What definitely is happening though is that government is becoming too powerful because politicians have entrenched themselves in the system. So they have enormous influence over our day to day lives, even though that wasn't the original intent of the founders at all. In order to steer our government back towards the vision the founding fathers had for it, we have to constrain the powers of the politicians involved in the process. Term limits is a great way to do that.

3. JR Ewing

JR Ewing Super Moderator Staff Member

Yeah, I get the feeling that if you and I sat down and had a few drinks, we'd solve most of the world's problems over the course of a single evening. Great minds think alike? :D

4. I believe term limits is the beginning of where we need to start. Then limit their possible income levels and entitlements. A US Senator receives $175,000 per year, plus health insurance, vacation time, and of course a pension. I will not give the name of one particular Senator who ran for President of the United States recently, be he not only receives this amount, but also $2,200 per month in Social Security and as well as $65,000 per year in VA benefits. This man is married to a multi-millionaire and they own a number of homes. Somehow they believe the Government Pension Offset Act that prevents Civil Service Retirees from collecting their spouse's Social Security is too much, but Congress is immune.

And understand, I am not implying that a man who was a POW and served in the armed forces does not deserve the money. What I am saying is that when someone who does not need it is in a position to relinquish those funds so that other veterans do not need to be homeless, or old ladies can stop eating cat food to survive, then it should be implemented. If we set term limits, those who have the power will no longer be attempting to provide themselves with a future, but they will be focused on providing America with a future.

5. LuckyGirl08

LuckyGirl08 Guest

I think that the limit should change because it gives other people a chance to be apart of things. With the Senator and Representors staying in office for a long time, I feel like they grow old to situations and their decisions tend to become more and more less trustful.

6. owesem75

owesem75 Well-Known Member

I agree on term limit. This way, it opens the chamber to new leaders with fresh ideas. It also prevent the incumbent to be too familiar with the position and eventually corrupt the system.

7. SteakTartare

SteakTartare Senior Investor

Yes, we need term limits. Once the congress critters are in office for years and decades, they become ensconced in their own little DC bubble totally disconnected from the rest of the country. Allow good folks to serve a reasonable length of time representing their states and then tell them go home.