Terrorism and Murder in Tennessee

Discussion in 'The Cocktail Lounge' started by baudwalk, Jul 17, 2015.

1. baudwalk

baudwalk Senior Investor

Our condolences to the families of the four Marines killed today in Chattanooga, Tennessee. CNN and Fox News coverage has been non-stop today, and I won't attempt to summarize the evolving story. Needless to say, I'm glad the local police took down the apparently ISIS-motivated shooter. For those interested in the local coverage, the Chattanooga Times Free Press --http://www.timesfreepress.com/ -- is probably the best source to read.

I wouldn't be surprised to see the policy of no guns allowed to be carried by military be changed.

Perhaps politically incorrect -- but I don't care -- and not to detract of the deaths of the Marines... I see POTUS quickly commented on today's events and extended condolences. Where is his reach-out to the family of Kate Steinle murdered due to a failure of ICE procedures? Still waiting...

2. AtlantaSports

AtlantaSports Senior Investor

This is ridiculous. I hate that ISIS even exists and I hate that that school of thinking is even a thing. I hate everything about what ISIS stands for.

3. JR Ewing

JR Ewing Super Moderator Staff Member

The admin will no doubt try to spin this as "workplace violence" or the work of a "lone wolf", and say that religion had nothing to do with it, and also try to use it as a call for more gun laws. :rolleyes:

4. Penny

Penny Well-Known Member

The admin has already announced that it is "domestic terrorism". So I don't see a lot of denial of the motive there even in these very early stages of the investigation. Unlike the Dylann Roof shooting. This suggests to me this nation is far more in denial about race-based terrorism than religion-based terrorism. Given that we have a long history or both based on several difference race and religiously selected targets.

5. Rainman

Rainman Senior Investor

Last year there were a number of such incidents in Canada. As ISIS recruits more radicals to join them we should expect more religiously motivated shootings in future.Stricter gun laws will only give terrorists an advantage. As one NRA official said, "the only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun." We need more good guys with guns out there.

6. rightct

rightct Well-Known Member

A bit late to the thread since I didn't see it on the 17th, but I just want to also express my condolences to their families. Truly said situation.

7. pwarbi

pwarbi Senior Investor

Incidents like this are going to become more and more common unfortunately, and I'm not sure there's a lot any nation can do about them. It seems that ISIS are still managing to get people on their side and round to their way of thinking, and until that is stopped, there's going to be more acts of terrorism were going to have to deal with.

8. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Guest

Just goes to show you how much troubled people are in the world. Oceans apart and Americans are still being brainwashed and or coerced to believe in such things. Weak minded, and people desperate for answers, is to blame here. If scientology can get people to join their religion, then it is a sad world we live in.