Texas Milk Shortage

Discussion in 'The Cocktail Lounge' started by Rainman, Jan 3, 2016.

1. Rainman

Rainman Senior Investor

Last year when Avain flu struck it resulted in egg shortage and barely six months later, Texas now has to grapple with milk shortage. Winter storm Goliath killed more than 30,000 cows in Texas and New Mexico. That in itself would be bad in enough but . . .

http://money.cnn.com/2016/01/02/news/dairy-texas-storm-goliath/
    Texans, brace yourselves for a spike in milk prices.

2. crimsonghost747

crimsonghost747 Senior Investor

Well shouldn't be a HUGE issue to just transport it from another part of the country. Of course with the USA being huge you would logically grab the closest available source so the transportation cost doesn't rise. There might be a small spike in prices but I guess this too will pass.

3. Susimi

Susimi Senior Investor

I doubt it will cause a shortage in supplies because they will just get in stock from other areas and if need be (read if they can make more of a profit) jack up the price and justify it by saying there is indeed a shortage when the reality is that supplies are hardly hit.

4. L_B

L_B Well-Known Member

Prices will soar anf people will panic. There is plenty of milk elsewhere that will be brought in. The shipping costs will be higher so the prices will rise. Since it is being called a shortage then they will rise more then necessary. Those affected most will be the farmers who lost their dairy cows. It will be huge losses for them.

5. TheApollonian

TheApollonian Well-Known Member

I agree that prices will soar if people panic but in this case there isn't much to panic about because of globalization, heck even Texas' neighbors can help them out with the shortage and maybe some company out there already has milk stocked up somewhere since dairy farms are now a commercialized industry they're bound to have a plan B when s*** hits the fan.

6. anders

anders Well-Known Member

It'd be interesting if this happened in more than one state at the same time, especially in one of the other major farming regions. There was an economist who once said that you're only 2 meals away from starvation if the food supply ever shut down.

Which reminds me: is it true that in the US you're not allowed to farm your own food for your own consumption? Someone told me this recently, but I can't seem to be able to verify it from anywhere.

7. crimsonghost747

crimsonghost747 Senior Investor

People will panic? Seriously guys? :D People will panick because the price of milk goes up 20%? I think we might have a bit of a different concept of the word "panic".

8. MakeDollarsSense

MakeDollarsSense Well-Known Member

It'll definitely have an effect on prices locally. Feel bad for the farmers that lost their stock.

9. Susimi

Susimi Senior Investor

People will "panic" over the slightest murmur of there being a shortage of something and then go out and buy in bulk said item creating even more of a shortage and even more of a panic.

Don't underestimate human stupidity ;)

10. nissi

nissi Well-Known Member

There are alternatives to milk, you can make it on your own. People should learn to be more self sufficient because one of these days there will be a massive shortage of everything.