Texas officer suspended after pool party video shows him pulling gun on teens

Discussion in 'Politics Discussion' started by JoshPosh, Jun 8, 2015.

1. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Guest

2. gracer

gracer Senior Investor

The Internet ans Social Media has been playing a key role in exposing people's acts of violence and abuse nowadays. We sometimes see them first on youtube before seeing them on the news. This policeman surely didn't think first before he pulled his gun out on the teenagers that were on that pool party.

3. baudwalk

baudwalk Senior Investor

Let's tell the rest of the story. I'm not saying things couldn't have been handled more appropriately, but that bit of video isn't complete. The girl was told to leave, 3 times, and refused. She was placed under arrest and to stay put. She didn't stay put and repeatedly tried to leave. The officer was out of restraints, pinned her, and asked another officer to fetch more restraints. Teenagers were out of control, jumping fences and crashing a pool party that HOA rules limited to 20. HOA security called police for assistance. It wasn't a Ferguson or Baltimore situation, but no doubt Al Sharpton will show up to set the world right. :)

4. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Guest

The fat guy cop in question has been suspended pending further investigation. So he must of been in a wrong according to his superiors and other city officials. Seriously, crossing the street and telling other kids to sit on the grass. Did they look like a mob to you? He's the only one yelling.

5. SteakTartare

SteakTartare Senior Investor

The cop looks pretty high-strung and belligerent. However, watch closely at what happens right before he pulls his piece. Several people in the crowd come very close to him while he's trying to handle the young woman on the ground; two of whom are young men who look like they are trying to intervene. If they had intended to do him harm, it would have been a matter of a second before he'd been unable to defend himself.

I'm not saying he handled the call well. The video, after all, shows pandemonium and the officer in question is currently suspended. But if one aggressively approaches a LEO, it shouldn't be a shock when he/she unholsters his/her weapon.

6. baudwalk

baudwalk Senior Investor

Aside from multiple press sources, there was expansive coverage of last night's rally via Portfolio. Quite a number of home owners were interviewed both on Portfolio and Fox News. I'm just saying there is more to and two sides to the story. On the other hand, I believe the police administration didn't want to attract further national attention by precipitating protests and riots; they took the easy way out by hanging the officer out to dry.

Smartphones aggravate whatever happens to be filmed. It was a stupid community pool party with raucous teens, some 50 miles from the nearest large city. Were it not for YouTube, this ruckus would not be blown into a national debate. It would simply be a footnote on the local police log for the day, forever lost in the dustbin of history.

7. JR Ewing

JR Ewing Super Moderator Staff Member

It appears that he may have mishandled the situation - former cops like Mark Fuhrman are saying that he should have waited until he had backup, among other things.

But one thing you have to realize in all of these situations we're seeing is that these offenders always seem to have at least a couple of things in common. And the second less obvious thing they all seem to have in common is that they always refuse to follow lawful orders issued by police officers. The situation escalates from there, unfortunately.

I don't know if it's become a cultural fad, or if it's because they feel more emboldened in recent years with all of the demonstrating and protesting done by the likes of the Sharptons and others. But I learned a long, long time ago that it's common sense not to fight or resist an armed law officer or disobey his lawful orders. I knew this was a bad idea long before I was ever even old enough to drive a car.

8. baudwalk

baudwalk Senior Investor

Reuters just broke the news the police officer has resigned. Can't say I blame him. I've been put in the position where a boss didn't back me up. Still doesn't change my opinion that cameras and YouTube blow things out on context and proportion.

9. PipCurrencies

PipCurrencies Well-Known Member

I will not claim to know what is what. All I know is that I used to substitute teach when I was in college and one day I saw myself squeezing the life out of an 8th grade girl. She was out of control and basically dared me to control her. So I quit. I decided that 20-to-life was not worth $7.35 an hour. I don't say this to justify wrong actions by the officer if there were any but I know first hand how bold young teens can be.

10. crimsonghost747

crimsonghost747 Senior Investor

Thanks for that post. Because each and everytime these things get thrown around the internet BY THE ONE WHO TOOK THE VIDEO. That is to say, someone who was at the party. So someone who is friends with most of the people there. Now surely THAT guy will have a completely neutral point of view into this... we've all been teens. Surely you all loved it when the cops came to stop your party...

And people of course jump on it straight away since they only see one side of the story and can't be arsed to even think that there might be another point of view involved. Not saying that the situation was handled as well as it could have been but I don't know why this is making headlines on the other side of the pond.