Thawing the relationship with Cuba?

Discussion in 'Politics Discussion' started by SteakTartare, Dec 17, 2014.

1. SteakTartare

SteakTartare Senior Investor

It is all over the news that the Obama administration is looking to thaw our relationship with Cuba. There is even talk of lifting the embargo that has been in place since the Kennedy administration. To be honest, I am torn on this one.

On one hand I despise Communism in every respect. The regime down there was and is a particularly bloodthirsty one. The thought of giving any aid, however indirect, to the current party there is enough to make one take pause. My own grandfather lived there for a while during the Batista era and liked it very much, but finally settled in the United States. He never went back to visit Cuba after Castro and his henchmen took over.

On the other hand, the embargo was put in place generations ago, and so very much has changed in the world. Not the least of which, the fall of the Soviet Empire. It also hurts regular Cubans the most, which is not in our interest. And, well, we might finally get post-ban Cuban cigars back. ;)

So, what say you?

2. Gelsemium

Gelsemium Senior Investor

I think that it's about time that Cuba and the US normalize their relations, the problem is already solved for a long time, so I hope the normal relations are reestablished soon.

3. My401K

My401K Well-Known Member

I had heard sometime ago that the cruise ships were going to Cuba again. The beaches are wonderful and as with all things the sands of time erase everything. This place will become a tourist hot spot and wedding mecca. If I recall the island was devastated by hurricanes and torrential rains a few years back, the bottom line is the cuban economy probably needs some desperate cash. I don't think they care who it comes from. With Mexico being so dangerous these days maybe the time is right.

4. dianethare

dianethare Senior Investor

It was awhile back that i was watching this documentary about how Cuba's medications are quite cheaper than the average price cap of medication in the USA and people were opting to travel all the way down to Cuba for medication prescribed in the USA...i found that quite perplexing!

5. Gelsemium

I think this will boost the tourism to Cuba and the US has also a lot to profit because most likely they will be starting to do a lot of exportation to the island.

6. Allison2021

Allison2021 Well-Known Member

I have been reading what elderly, and young Cuban Americans have said these past few days. Those who were old enough to remember the 1960's are angry with President Obama's announcement. Those who were born after 1980 are happy because they may be able to visit their grandparents for the first time.

Fidel Castro was against freedom as we, Americans, know it. He became sick is these past two years. Then his brother, Raul, took over. There have been rumors that Raul Castro has tried to communicate with the president. Cuba is dirt poor. The Europeans have not invested in that impoverished island. Venezuela,an oil producing country, was the last Communist country to give Cuba funds. Currently, Venezuela does not have surplus money to distribute to Cuba. Therefore, I'll bet Raul Castro has begged the president to communicate.

7. JR Ewing

JR Ewing Super Moderator Staff Member

Castro is already bossing Obama around. :rolleyes:

The impact on the people will be minimal - the Castros will pocket over 90% of the profits Cuba makes, and they will no doubt demand hefty fees from foreign business interests. There's also always the chance that they or whoever comes into power next will take over foreign business interests with no comp for the business owners.

I think the only rational thing to do when we get involved with these foreign dictators is to take them out and put in our own puppet govt to protect our interests. And it should be worth our while to get involved in the first place. I always said that we would have been better served taking Chavez out and putting a democracy in Venezuela for us and the people there as we profit from the oil there with no risk of nationalization. We blew in it Iraq.

8. SamClemensMT

SamClemensMT Well-Known Member

Thawing relations isn't to say that we are normalizing relations with Havana. The reforms needed for that to happen are quite a few. We have to take one step at a time. If we can do business with Vietnam, we can do business with Cuba. The feelings of Cuban Americans should be considered very highly in the process.

9. gats

gats Senior Investor

I think the US needs to forget about sanctions with Cuba, they aren't doing anything anyway. The rest of the world has no problem with going on holiday to Havana, the Americans are missing out.

10. Gelsemium

Pretty much, let the past in the past.

JR, Castro is already bossing Obama around? LOL, I don't think that will ever happen...

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 8, 2016