The Big "Names" -- Bush, Clinton -- Good or Bad?

Discussion in 'Politics Discussion' started by kkrowe, Aug 5, 2015.

1. kkrowe

kkrowe New Member

Do you think that Jeb Bush and Hillary Clinton benefit or suffer from having their last names? Are Americans tired of having a Bush in the office? Bill Clinton had widespread popularity, but recent polls are showing Hillary does not hold the same favor with U.S. citizens. Are Americans ready for a new name, or will their established names prove helpful in the 2016 elections?

What are your opinions?

2. SteakTartare

SteakTartare Senior Investor

[​IMG]

It is time, imho, for the country to get some fresh blood and fresh ideas.

3. kgord

kgord Senior Investor

I think at this point it is a double edged sword. It is positive because they have easy name recognition but some peopel probably don't like what their famous names stand for so it is indeed something that may hurt or help the candidate. I think that many people are looking for something different. I think this helps to explain the popularity of Trump for instance. It is someone who is different.

4. Rainman

Rainman Senior Investor

It would be great if someone new was to step in and shake things up a bit but after having Obama in office for two terms I suppose many people are disillusioned. It matters little who is in the white house. Is it a Clinton? A Bush? An Obama? None of them care for the average Joe. New names would make a difference is the system [government being controlled by the elite] was changed. Before that happens all of them are puppets of the elite/corporations.

5. Sunflogun

Sunflogun Well-Known Member

This is a good question, is there a choice really? Bush and Clinton have taken the country to where it is right now, so more of Bush and Clinton is really an alternative? Anyone else please?

6. gmckee1985

gmckee1985 Senior Investor

While I think George W Bush is a good man I dont think his presidency was anything more than mixed. The first Bush was decent, while Bill Clintons presidency was a status quo time for the country. I fo not support either Jeb Bush or Hillary Clinton. It doesnt have much to do with their last names, I just feel they arent the best or most qualified candidates in the race.

7. JR Ewing

JR Ewing Super Moderator Staff Member

I mostly like Jeb, common core and pandering a bit too much to the whole immigration thing aside. But he just doesn't seem to have that fire in the belly and that fight in him, and seems to lack that charisma and "wow" factor that the young voters and low information voters crave.

He comes across as that guy who has a hard time dumbing himself down to those large numbers of voters who are unwilling and unable to understand complex issues. And he doesn't strike me as the type who will spit out one line zingers that will put the trolls and attackers in their places. He's said previously that he plans to run a "clean campaign", which is a losing campaign... those who take the high road in politics these days are those who lose elections.

8. petesede

petesede Guest

I think we are 8 years past the last Bush and as long as Jeb can distance himself from the war in Iraq people will see him as a viable President. I think he is sane and has a reasonable view on immigration, which could bring the Rep back into being relevant again. But if all the talk and all the debates are about immigration, Bush will have a hard time winning the early redneck states in the primary.

9. adwilk1218

adwilk1218 Member

I think that it is ridiculous that the American people are/were willing to accept the idea that Bush and Clinton were their only viable choices for 2016. Until the past few weeks, it seemed like there was NO other choice. The United States shouldn't have "royal families", and that is exactly what this seems like. I am ready for a fresh face and a fresh outlook in the White House.

10. baudwalk

baudwalk Senior Investor

Push come to shove and given the choice of those two, Jeb would better than the progressive liberal Hillary. That said, we severely need a change of both parties' leadership in both the House and Senate. Fresh thinking -- willingness to tackle debt, budgets, taxation, and the executive branch bloat -- would be a miracle. Question is: do I believe in miracles? Nah...