The Future

Discussion in 'Buying & Selling Real Estate' started by Rainman, Apr 21, 2015.

1. dianethare

dianethare Senior Investor

I've just seen some pictures of eco-friendly houses, its a brilliant idea but i'm thinking maintenance costs will sky-rocket to the roof like crazy...i stand to be corrected if am wrong.

2. My401K

My401K Well-Known Member

In the States there are plenty of incentivizes to switch to more eco friendly things. For example adding energy star rated appliances, or switching to energy efficient furnaces, solar panels or water heaters often result in all sorts of tax credits that an owner can take when they file their income tax. I think this can be a bit of a double edged sword, it is fine in a new build, but there can be all sorts of unforeseen hurdles in older homes. For example in the Condo's we manage there are several town houses that have tried to switch to the high efficiency furnaces, the structures are far from conducive for ease in installation, and then it was discovered that just from the design of what is needed to operate these high efficiency furnaces, there were issues on the outside of the townhouses from the ice and snow accumulations in the winter. Sometimes one solution causes several additional problems. Overall I would expect just like the changes in automobiles we should expect to see lasting changes in home energy features. I personally like the changes that have happened in things like insulation and R factors.

3. Glcameron

Glcameron Well-Known Member

I think your trailing a very thin line when you think of someone buying an economically sound house. There are so many fantastic advantages to purchasing them but they may not develop in popularity unless there are some tax breaks with them. I also think there are some individuals who feel the use of some materials although recycled wont sustain during natural diasters such as hurricanes or tornados. Thre is alot that goes into it but I know that as an investor I would purchase them.

4. missbishi

missbishi Well-Known Member

It's certainly a good way to attract buyers right now. The estate agent I usually deal with tells me that houses with a higher energy efficiency rating get more interest, better offers and sell quicker. Eco-friendliness does seem to be a prime consideration for many buyers these days.

5. Sunflogun

Sunflogun Well-Known Member

I feel that environment friendly is a concern to many, but ultimately only those who can afford it will really go ahead with it. The fact is most people will just be happy to be able to buy a house, whether is environment friendly or not.

6. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Senior Investor

Many times it can be more expensive to purchase or build an economic friendly house because it is the fad right now and everyone wants in on a piece of the financial pie. If you can find cheap materials it could be a good investment, but as soon as something is labeled as good for the environment, the price tag soars.

7. Corzhens

Corzhens Senior Investor

Over here, houses are built in the traditional way and except for the rich that have new designs, I guess houses will remain in as such for now. Eco friendly houses are those with solar roof light and thick concrete walls to preserve the cold air inside and shield the same from direct sunlight. But those radical design seems not to catch fire because the normal house has windows and the eco house has only 1 window. I really don't know what the trend in the next 10 years would be regarding the eco house.