The gap between rich and poor...

Discussion in 'The Cocktail Lounge' started by Jimmy, Sep 5, 2014.

1. Profit5500

Profit5500 Senior Investor

I guess capitalist society is who we are unless you are communist then that is different. I do not think we would change our capitalist beliefs its just something we spent years doing. Even if we have a budget deficit then that would not change anything.

2. JR Ewing

JR Ewing Super Moderator Staff Member

It's not 100% capitalist, and I believe that the parts that don't work so well are the parts that get too far away from capitalism.

What would you suggest instead of a largely capitalist society?

3. Casper

Casper Well-Known Member

"The few who understand the system will either be so interested in its profits or be so dependent upon its favours that there will be no opposition from that class, while on the other hand, the great body of people, mentally incapable of comprehending the tremendous advantage that capital derives from the system, will bear its burdens without complaint, and perhaps without even suspecting that the system is inimical to their interests." The Rothschild brothers of London writing to associates in New York, 1863.

"Let me issue and control a nation's money and I care not who writes the laws." Mayer Amschel Rothschild (1744-1812), founder of the House of Rothschild.

Unsurprising then that the 1% (or even the 10%), think they deserve what they have because they are so superior.

Obviously 'poor people are lazy and stupid' and 'its their own fault' because if they are too stupid to understand and game the system, they can always join an army and go and kill people (or be killed/maimed) for the benefit of the superior rich. Wonder why there is so much bloodshed in the world.

4. Rainman

Rainman Senior Investor

I think the reason the gap between the poor and rich grows wider all the time is because the rich make sure the poor get stuck in poverty. Who would work for them if everyone became rich? Of course there are a few people who manage to break free but most of those who are wealthy [a fraction of the 1%] still keep them in 'their place.' Education for example has been dumbed down so most of those who go through public schools can't think for themselves. How much better to keep people in their place than by training them to be servants of the wealthy by being slaves of the system?

5. Casper

Casper Well-Known Member

"The extent of and continuing increase in inequality in the United States greatly concern me," Fed Chair Janet Yellen said in a speech at an inequality conference in Boston on Friday. Her comments come just days after Swiss bank Credit Suisse warned that inequality in the U.S. is at levels that have been associated with recessions in the past, with one key measure at its highest level since the Great Depression.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/10/17/janet-yellen-inequality_n_6002774.html

Then again 'some people' think the top 0.1% deserve a Million $ tax break but working families should be denied a living wage. 'Some people' eh! :(

Last edited: Oct 18, 2014
  6. JR Ewing

JR Ewing Super Moderator Staff Member

The reason there are so few people who become self-made wealthy is because it's not easy. It takes hard work, persistence, discipline, common sense, the ability to think and look into the future and focus on the big picture, etc.

And you'll be more likely to do very well if you focus on doing something you do better than most people. Also hire the right people, network, learn to be more efficient, etc. It's a very competitive world, but most people only do what they have to do to get buy. If you outwork most people, work smarter than most, save and reinvest your $ rather than blowing through it trying to impress everyone else, your chances of success are greater than average.

Being in a good location has always been a big help, but that's becoming less of a factor in such a global high-tech world.

7. Profit5500

Right on and I commend you for saying that there are lots of whiners here. I try to get a job where I am at but it seems dead when it comes to hiring. Opportunity is that fine fruit you have to pick in the garden in order to eat.

8. Gelsemium

Gelsemium Senior Investor

The day when we agreed with capitalism is the day we agreed that this gap will increase until civil wars happen.

9. Profit5500

It would be a crazy war if that were to commence. I would like to see the reaction that the rich would have if something like that were to happen. I think its hard to change the gap with the rich and poor to make things better for the poor There would be some sort change but it varies on when that would happen.

10. Strykstar

Strykstar Well-Known Member

I think this situation is always going to keep deteriorating so that the gap is bigger and bigger.
    The rich get richer and the poor get poorer as they say, but what's the valid alternative to capitalism? A meritocracy possibly?