The Irony of Atheism

Discussion in 'The Cocktail Lounge' started by Gomer, May 13, 2014.

1. wulfman

wulfman Guest

Most of the atheists I know are well educated. WIth post graduate degrees or Doctorates.

2. WrestlinFan

WrestlinFan Active Member

Don't think I'll be touching this.

3. fossilizedtreesap

fossilizedtreesap Member

So long as someone does not use their own beliefs to make other people feel bad about themselves, then generally there shouldn't be a problem. I don't particularly agree with the sentiment behind the original post because of the same reason I find prominent atheists like Dawkins unpleasant: the air of condescension and the assumption that those with a completely different belief in spirituality are somehow less enlightened, less educated or less intelligent. So it's great that we've been able to have a little discussion about the diversity of beliefs as a result of this original post.

I personally know that I still have a lot to learn about why groups of people believe what they do, but I think it's important to consider those different to me for my own social and political awareness.

4. fossilizedtreesap

fossilizedtreesap Member

So long as someone does not use their own beliefs to make other people feel bad about themselves, then generally there shouldn't be a problem. I don't particularly agree with the sentiment behind the original post because of the same reason I find prominent atheists like Dawkins unpleasant: the air of condescension and the assumption that those with a completely different belief in spirituality are somehow less enlightened, less educated or less intelligent. So it's great that we've been able to have a little discussion about the diversity of beliefs as a result of this original post.

I personally know that I still have a lot to learn about why groups of people believe what they do, but I think it's important to consider those different to me for my own social and political awareness.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 8, 2016
  5. Muthoni

Muthoni Guest

I think we all worship something or someone. Some time back an atheist challenged me to proof that there was a God. I did my best but they still rejected my findings. Just the fact that he was asking about God showed that he was curious and questioning self about His existence. Ignoring something does not make it go away.

6. shilpa123

shilpa123 Banned

Atheist have their own way of living and so does the rest of the people. Their way of living is their own. And I do not think there is anything wrong in it.

7. Gelsemium

Gelsemium Senior Investor

One thing is someone saying that is an atheist, other thing is to act like one and that is something entirely different. I think that when we are respectful we do believe in something superior.

8. shilpa123

shilpa123 Banned

I believe it is really important to make sure that if your an atheist you make sure that you totally know what you are wdoing it. I believe it is quite important to practice atheism thoroughly if you are interested in being one.

9. Willl24_

Willl24_ Member

I entirely disagree. I am and always have been an atheist; In my opinion, atheists are no different from any religion with all of the points that you're making. Besides, it's unfair to group any sort of people together, every atheist is an individual in the same way that all Christians, Muslims, Catholics, etc. are.

10. dianethare

dianethare Senior Investor

The movie GOD's NOT DEAD...can answer his/her questions i presume...besides if its one subject i don't like debating about, is all matters about GOD...i just might lash out and that's not a good picture before HIM :(