The Myth of Muslim 72 Virgins

Discussion in 'Religion & Philosophy' started by matt, Jul 29, 2015.

1. Rainman

Rainman Senior Investor

According to some scholars the "kill all infidels wherever they be found" verse refers solely to polytheists. That nonetheless doesn't make it any less distasteful. No one should be killed for believing in one god, many gods and so on. All humans can choose to serve God, themselves, false gods or demons. Anyway about jihad:

http://www.justaskislam.com/32/does-islam-say-kill-the-infidels/
    We know the Quran orders believers to fight in combat against those who are the oppressors, aggressors and terrorists and those who are assaulting and killing the innocent men, women and children. But it gives out clear orders - NOT TO Fight against those who are not fighting against you...

2. mooray

mooray Well-Known Member

If hell exists, there are two things that will take most people to hell 1) Religion and 2) Earthly fortunes like money. I also don't get that 72 virgins part.

3. nissi

nissi Well-Known Member

It's just one of the many deceptions of this false religion. It's sad and just shows that it is a false religion because their false god doesn't save their people from their sins. They still have a lust problem to only think about sex as a reward, not to mention a reward for their evil deeds.

4. lstryhrn

lstryhrn Active Member

How can someone called this a myth. That's like calling Jesus walking on water or being a son of God a myth. If you call this a myth you have to call every other belief a myth in each religion.

5. petesede

petesede Guest

mostly agree with this. Remember that christianity only really got a foothold because some dude attacking Rome needed a free army and so suddenly saw a cross in the sky. Also, do not forget that the entire middle ages, Christianity was mostly about controlling people. Trivia question.. if you take away everything a person has and abuse them, how can you keep them in line? Well, by promising them something after death, and then threatening to take that away too. The Kings abused the people, took everything from them, but then the Church was there to promise them rewards in heaven.... but only if they kept obeying the God-appointed Kings.

Also, as far as the OPs question.. People need to actually read the Koran or at least the cliff notes and stop listening to people tell you what is in it. Here is something to put it in perspective. The ´virgins´and terrorism are to the Koran, what KKK doctrine is to the Bible.

6. djordjem87

djordjem87 Well-Known Member

People do this all the time. It is stupid to banalise a religion like this. If you were interested you could do some real research. I am not a Muslim, by the way. These are not virgins in a sense that your dirty minds are thinking. They are Hourie or Hur , meaning companions basically. Number 72 never appears in Quran but in Hadith. I suppose you know what that is. Houri always go in plural but they represent faithful companions to all believers not just Martyrs. There is no holy war in Quran it actually prohibits suicide, aggression and and killing. No reword what so ever for those who kill innocent people or themselves. It is just wrongly used by sects that Islam doesn't approve and this religion is being destroyed intentionally without reason. It even prohibits forceful transition in Islam. The choice has to be made peacefully and solely by that person. It cannot be forced. Islam is derived from Salam which means peace. I am not an expert on this but I have read and listened lecturers about this.

7. briannagodess

briannagodess Well-Known Member

There are lots of confusing interpretations given for this 72 virgins. The thing is, even with the Bible, some lines or words or phrases or paragraphs can be interpreted differently. Even different people have different interpretations for one sentence or paragraph. So since I don't know how to read the Koran and interpret it, I cannot really have a definite answer for this. Though if it really isn't about virgins literally, then it just goes to show how translation has a big effect on interpretation as well.