The politics of closing Gitmo frustrate the players in Washington

Discussion in 'Politics Discussion' started by baudwalk, Sep 13, 2015.

1. baudwalk

baudwalk Senior Investor

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/201...se-gitmo-riles-pentagon-white-house-congress/

This is a fair-and-balanced review, in my opinion, and interesting look at Obama's bid to close Gitmo versus the politics within the Pentagon, Congress and the White House. I'd love to be a fly on the wall in some of these discussions.

Frankly, I don't believe the detainees should be brought stateside to be injected into our legal system that is not equipped to deal with such non-citizens. These are prisoners of war taken on the battlefield and treated as such while the fight against the IS continues.

2. JR Ewing

JR Ewing Super Moderator Staff Member

Yeah, and I'd rather the GITMO detainees not be on US soil for the safety of the US population, considering the backgrounds and affiliations of those detainees.

3. Lechiffre212

Lechiffre212 New Member

Good point! I just wonder if GITMO hasn't made them even more radicalized which probably means we not only shouldn't move them to the states but, probably shouldn't release them at all. What does that say about our system? I may be wrong but, most of those men have never been tried in court. So we imprisoned them because they possibly posed a threat to the U.S. Now we're holding them because we can't let them go - because they pose a threat to the U.S. Life sentences for people who've never been tried. It would have been cheaper (and probably more humane) to put these men in front of a firing squad... Just sayin'

4. Beary

Beary Member

Obama needs to speed up the process of re-examining the forever detainees. If more detainees are eligible for deportation to their home country, then there will be less political pressure to have to accommodate them in US prisons. Just have to grind the resources into the process.

5. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Senior Investor

No matter what regular prison they would go to, my guess is that the security would not be as tight as what they are facing at Gitmo, and this means that they could have some communication with their terrorist networks. Look at some of the things that prison gangsters have access to while they are incarcerated. Prison guards can be "bought."