The Reality of Divorce

Discussion in 'The Cocktail Lounge' started by Eziospick, Sep 25, 2014.

1. Eziospick

Eziospick Guest

So with more and more marriages ending with divorce, does it ever worry anyone that the portfolio they have build so high over the years might be wiped clean with a nasty divorce? I'll be honest, I'm not married, but plan to one day and still have that fear in the back of my mind. So do any of you guys have that fear, and for the ones who are married and don't, how did you conquer it?

2. Raven82

Raven82 Active Member

In the 90s my entire portfolio, my company 401K and $88K I had for my son's college was totally wiped out from a divorce that was dropped on me while I was being a good husband working 65 to 80 hours a week for my family. Came home from a business trip in Brussels to a cleaned out house. Spent the next 4 years scratching my way back and then met a woman from Asia that was a scientist working for a big American company and the next 14 years have been a team effort to success and happiness.

3. Kael

Kael Guest

I am so glad that you found happiness and love after divorce, not many people can make such an adjustment for a better life. Bravo! I do not plan for a divorce because I will be marrying for the long-term.

4. jason

jason Guest

Sign a prenup! It's good sense. I would not feel offended or hurt if my significant other asked for one. I'm not one of those who thinks a prenup is a bad omen or negative shadow. Discuss terms that make sense (in case of separation, child financial responsibilities, splitting shared investments and property etc.) and save yourself a lot of bitter arguing in the case of divorce. Hope for the best but you never know what the future holds.

5. Tara

Tara Active Member

I think that most people plan to marry for the long term. Divorce can happen to anyone. I think it's best to have contingencies in place. It doesn't mean that you love less, but you are covering your bases. I would have no problem signing a prenup. When I was younger the thought of a prenup was offensive to me. I think it's a wise move now that I'm older.

6. crimsonghost747

crimsonghost747 Senior Investor

Exactly. A prenup is a great way not only to protect yourself but also makes the whole divorce process a lot easier since there is ink on the paper. Less arguing and less hassle is good! While most people don't expect a divorce, a lot of people find themselves divorced at some point... nothing wrong with covering your own ass.

7. Muthoni

Muthoni Guest

Life is full of surprises that it does not matter how well we prepare for something. I believe that we should do our best and hope that everything works for our best. It is unfortunate that divorce has become so common today.

8. Peninha

Peninha Senior Investor

When we are not ready for a relationship, the divorce happens. Divorces are usually an ugly thing, luckily mine was a friendly one.

9. Raven82

Raven82 Active Member

Depending on the state and the judge you are dealing with a prenup can easily be thrown out of court especially in a situation where a woman can build a real or a fake case of abuse and then just say she signed the prenup under pressure. The irony of the divorce for the man is that most of these divorce cases where the woman gets practically everything (or everything and huge future monthly payments by the man) are overseen by older male judges. I had 2 female attorneys and one of the early trips into divorce court the one situation where I actually was treated fairly was when we had a fairly young female judge running things. Unfortunately the major divorce decision had an old arrogant male judge that was known to play the Big Man for the little helpless woman in every divorce case. My 2 female Attorneys told me that when we start having more hard working women judges conducting these divorces we will actually see more equality and not have men treated so badly. (I saw the woman judge a few months later in a grocery store and thanked her for treating me fair)

10. caparica007

caparica007 Well-Known Member

Divorces can be a messy situation when families are involved, it becomes a fight for property, this when kids aren't involved...