The Reality of Divorce

Discussion in 'The Cocktail Lounge' started by Eziospick, Sep 25, 2014.

1. JR Ewing

JR Ewing Super Moderator Staff Member

Sorry to hear that, man. What country are you from originally?

Always get a pre-nuptial agreement done by a reputable attorney. No prenup, no marriage.

2. In the running

In the running Well-Known Member

No offense, but that's what everyone says. No one gets married with one hand while holding onto their divorce lawyer with their other. It just happens. That's what sucks about a divorce........you can't plan for that part of your future the way you plan for anything else that concerns your future.

3. pwarbi

pwarbi Senior Investor

Nobody can see what the future has in store, that's why a pre nup is always the best thing to do in my opinion. Some people might say that it only applies for rich people but I don't agree, at the end if the day if your rich or not, you need to be secure in the knowledge that if the marriage doesn't work out, then you'll still be able to walk away with what you put into it.

4. baudwalk

baudwalk Senior Investor

Hmmm... what's a prenuptial? 49 yr 9 mo and counting... daughter 23 yr and counting... I wouldn't know what to do with myself alone... don't drink...

5. L_B

L_B Well-Known Member

I was married 20+ years when my marriage came to an end. It was a nasty, drawn out divorce. I went from wanting for nothing to struggling to survive but I did it! That was 7 years ago now. As difficult as it was I would never want to go back to the way I was living. I wasted far too many years of my life in a bad situation. I am slowly building my life back up and feel confident in myself. I have met somebody else but at the present time I am not sure if I would ever get married again. After you have been through it once it is hard to allow yourself to go through it again for fear of losing everything once again. Life is a gamble though. You can't always live in fear. You have to take changes.

6. anorexorcist

anorexorcist Well-Known Member

That's why I don't want to get married! It would be really frustrating for me lost everything that I have worked for, so if I really love someone we will just love together, besides that I can't lost everything in a divorce I think that marriage is a really scary word to me, it involves a lot of compromises and I don't think I am/will be ready for that.

7. Sandra

Sandra Active Member

I am concerned about the high divorce rates as well. I am young and not married and the divorce statistics are very discouraging. The most discouraging factor for me is that many couples that I admired and who were married for years, eventually got divorced. Also disturbing, is the fact that sometimes the reasons given for divorce are so petty and thus it appears that marriage is not valued as it was back then. I admire those who are still willing to work through their problems and challenges in order to make their marriage work and those who have been married for many years and are still going strong.

8. TheApollonian

TheApollonian Well-Known Member

One word my friend: pre-nup. Also it's very important to have a separate portfolio and a combined porfolio with your other half. It's all about financial security man and if you really don't want to jepoardize your relationships and investments then work on your marriage and don't effing cheat. Those ashley madison assholes aren't just losing face man. Think about it.

9. mooray

mooray Well-Known Member

Marriage is hard and sometimes no matter how hard you try, a divorce is inevitable. The thing about marriage is that it takes 2 people to work and 1 person cannot just hold it together when the other person is not even trying. The best thing to do is seek a pre-nup agreement before marriage.

10. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Senior Investor

Some people do not try hard enough to keep their marriages together. Some people really do need to divorce, but I think many couples just need to think things through better before deciding to get married in the first place. Hollywood marriages are the worst.