The Reality of Divorce

Discussion in 'The Cocktail Lounge' started by Eziospick, Sep 25, 2014.

1. norms options

norms options Well-Known Member

I am married and have to say that if ever we would divorce, the portfolio would be one of the last things on my priority list at that time. The ending of the marriage would be much more significant than any financial concerns at that point. I guess I would still like to be financially free at some point in my life, but the goals I have set and strive for in my financial life are with both of us in mind and my primary concern is to take care of my wife. That is really what building a portfolio is about for me--to help us to have a better future together. I know I will never divorce my wife and I am as certain as I can be that she feels the same about me, but if the unforseen does happen I will not be worried about the money at that time and the best thing to do is just let the lawyers sort it out. I guess what I am saying is that love trumps money every time...

2. nissi

nissi Well-Known Member

People don't try hard enough anymore. It's like they're just looking for a way out so when divorce comes they're happy to go along with it. Why get married in the first place if you can't keep a commitment or try to repair what's damaged?

3. Alex

Alex Senior Investor

Divorce is no longer the stigma it was as people are more realistic about relationships. Maybe people want more, or they realize they have a choice and there is no point staying in a relationship that makes you unhappy and that doesn't work.

These days people are more mobile and that means the family unit is less strong than it used to be. People work away more often and the close knit ties that keep marriages together no longer exists. Even Sunday trading has eroded the day off together, so as such relationships are looser because of how society has evolved.