The UK's obsession with banning foreign politicians

Discussion in 'Politics Discussion' started by Hedonologist, Mar 13, 2016.

1. Hedonologist

Hedonologist Well-Known Member

Firstly, Geert Wilders was banned from entering the UK, at the time he was the leader of the third largest party in the Netherlands (polls indicate the largest at the next Dutch election) Fortunately this ban was overturned.

Secondly, the parliamentary committee debating on whether to ban Donald Trump entry to the UK.

In 2017 it may well be the case that the Dutch Prime minister was once banned from entering the UK, and American President almost banned.

2. Corzhens

Corzhens Senior Investor

I wonder why Donald Trump is leading the Republican party's race amidst the opposition. What I mean by opposition is the vocal stance of his oppositors like this thread (UK wants to ban him). Inside his party, there are those who would sell their soul just so Trump would not win the nomination. Maybe Donald Trump is so popular that despite the many detractors, he still have the majority and I guess he can be the president of the United States come November. Sorry for the opposition to Trump but the guy is surely lucky.

3. kgord

kgord Senior Investor

HA I would ban Donald Trump from entering my country too, unfortunately, he is already here! I guess it is just too late! Well I don't know I guess the UK has it's reasons, but not sure it is setting a good precedent. It is just kind of odd.

4. Hedonologist

The fact it even got that far would probably strain Anglo-American relations if Trump does become president. It's very counter-productive to ban foreign politicians because you disagree with their views. Robert Mugabe has been to the UK many times, so I don't see why Donald Trump should get a ban.

5. remnant

remnant Well-Known Member

This shows that beneath our democratic pretensions, a common thread unites democracies and dictatorships. The same situation applied to former Ivorian president Laurent Gbagbo attempting to ban Alassane Outtara from contesting the presidency. As for Trump, he is a unifying factor that binds such pretenders to democracy.

6. pwarbi

pwarbi Senior Investor

The UK banning certain politicians from entering the country, or at least trying to, mystifies me a bit also.

You look at people like Choudrey who they let fly in and out at will, spreading his IS propaganda on a regular basis, but want to stop people like Trump coming over. I think they have their priorities all over the place, but that's this government all over unfortunately.

7. Alex

Alex Senior Investor

It's not banning politicians, but people that promote 'hate speech'. The actual job title is irrelevant and so far no American President has been banned from entering the UK or almost banned as far as I know. Maybe I am in a parallel dimension to the OP? It's not an obsession, it's merely a means to protect the country because if you know anything about International Law, 'hate speech' can be considered a crime if people act on the rhetoric.

8. petesede

petesede Guest

The thing with the UK and Trump is because there was a petition there that reached 100,000 signatures, which by law required their government to discuss the topic.

And you are kinda missing the point. Trump is the one who started the problem by threatening to close down a golf course in the UK for some reason.. it was his typical rambling, and at some point he said he was going to close the golf course... it was meaningless like everything else he says.. like he was going to kick Starbucks out of Trump towers (because of the Christmas cups) , and he was going to boycott Apple (because they won´t hack their own phones), he is going to boycott Disney, he is going to boycott this and that.... It is just Trump being an idiot and saying the first thought that pops into his head, and then 5 minutes later forgetting about it.

Like his stupid steaks and water. Mitt pointed out that they went bankrupt.. Trump said something stupid.. got called on it, and then for a press conference had to go out and buy steaks from a local butcher just to cover his original lie, then got caught in the second lie... but blamed it on the liberal media..

9. Hedonologist

No other country banned Geert Wilders as far as I am aware, and I don't believe any country has seriously proposed banning Trump. If America's enemies are being reasonable, I don't see why the UK would even consider such a thing. The hypocrisy is that UK is such a safe haven for ISIS, yet we are more concerned with harmless people.

10. explorerx7

explorerx7 Guest

I am not a fan of Trump, however, I don't see a valid reason for the UK banning Mr Trump. They are seeming to take this holier-than-thou stance. Trump may be open in the declaration of his racist stance. However, race relations in the UK leaves much to be desired. Probably they should clean up their backyard first before they seek to criticize another's.