The winnowing of the Republican candidates

Discussion in 'Politics Discussion' started by baudwalk, Sep 13, 2015.

1. baudwalk

baudwalk Senior Investor

http://www.thefiscaltimes.com/2015/09/13/Rick-Perry-Out-Culling-GOP-Herd-Begins-Here-s-Who-s-Next

Following Perry's withdrawal from the campaign, who's next? And who should withdraw now? Here is a rationale, in my opinion, review of the crowded Republican field. Readers may say some of the author's choices are obvious, but nevertheless the hard facts need to be recognized.

Elsewhere, I just saw a brief mention that Jeb Bush is enlisting Laura Bush to do some fundraising for his flagging campaign.

Like it or not, Trump continues to suck the oxygen out of the room. There is a long way to go.

2. JR Ewing

JR Ewing Super Moderator Staff Member

Scott Walker and Rand Paul have dropped sharply as well. Christie seems to be treading water.

It looks like Trump, Carson, Bush, Fiorina, and Cruz are doing very well overall. Rubio is hanging on. Huckabee is still there.

3. Kicker774

Kicker774 Well-Known Member

If another Kim Davis emerges in the news Mike Huckabee will be sure to get his face in front of the cameras.

Cruz will stick his head in the media spotlight if another gun shooting comes about.

Rubios been getting in front of the cameras a bit with the Syrian refugee crisis.

All of the B players seem to have their niche.

4. Corzhens

Corzhens Senior Investor

I agree that it's still a long way to go, more than a year before the d-day but not only the Republicans are pressing the panic button but also the Democrats. This is in reference to the rising popularity of Donald Trump which is way ahead in the survey ratings according to my relatives in the US. And unless there is a messiah that would come along there's no doubt that Donald Trump will be the next president. But there is still that chance for Jeb if he is able to get the campaign kitty going, a chinaman's chance.

5. SteakTartare

SteakTartare Senior Investor

Perry wasn't a bad candidate, particularly considering his record in Texas, but he wasn't gaining any traction. Christie seems to be dead in the water too, but hasn't realized it yet. Rubio, imho, continues to fail to impress, but if he can get on his game, maybe he'll be a player. I am amused that the outsider candidates (Trump, Carson, Fiorina) are doing so well. Cruz is still my pick, but Trump has stolen a lot of his thunder, and understandably so. Huckabee seems to be still a potential, but I fear the media will still paint him only in terms of his religious beliefs.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 8, 2016
  6. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Guest

Trump needs to speak up more on the details of his plans for the country. I think people are eating up his demeanor, and I have not heard a solid plan from him yet. Right now it's just him promising things and offending people. He needs to make a outline of what he is exactly going to do. I doubt Mexico is going to pay for the great wall of trump to keep the illegals out.

7. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Senior Investor

I was looking at the candidate list the other day and there is a lot of Republicans running right now, I was kind of shocked, but I guess they are trying to up rise against the Democrats. I really wish Trump would quit trying to take away the spotlight because I don't feel he will even make it on the final election ballet and he is a waste of media space.

8. baudwalk

baudwalk Senior Investor

9. SteakTartare

SteakTartare Senior Investor

It is not surprising. It is too bad because Walker has a pretty good track record as a governor. In a normal election cycle I think he would have done well. However, the "outsider" factor is huge this time around.