This is outrageous! How it this even legal?!

Discussion in 'The Cocktail Lounge' started by 111kg, Oct 10, 2015.

1. L_B

L_B Well-Known Member

I think this is taking things way too far. I do agree that debt should be paid back but I also understand that if a person can't find a job after they finish school then it's hard to repay them. I like the way the UK does it. That sounds fair to me. I was lucky in that I landed a good job after I graduated and was able to pay back my student loan quite quickly.

2. 111kg

111kg Guest

Thanks, OBAMA! :D:D

But on second thought, why would they revoke the driving privileges and not the college diploma?

3. pwarbi

pwarbi Senior Investor

While I think that system will stay in place for the foreseeable future at least, what is happening is that they're cutting the amount of student loans that are being given out, and to even apply now you have to qualify under stricter criteria.

Either way it's detrimental to people who want to better themselves with higher education and now more and more people are just having to work in menial jobs to earn a wage, and throw out their aspirations of a better life and a university education simply due to the fact they can't afford to learn.

4. baudwalk

baudwalk Senior Investor

The state and federal governments have no authority to grant or deny or revoke a individual's college degree. That is in the purview of the academic institution. What the state government can do, usually through a state board of education/higher education, is approve or deny degree programs and changes thereto. What the federal government can do is grant or deny federal monies to qualifying academic institutions. Virtually all higher education institutions participate in some kind of regional or national accreditation organization, but again the organization has no authority to revoke an individual's degree. (In another life, over 8 years, I was a college registrar, dean of students, and an assistant director in the state department of higher education.)

5. JR Ewing

JR Ewing Super Moderator Staff Member

I think this is yet another good argument as to why it's a bad idea for the govt to be in the business of lending money (or even just backing private loans with tax dollars) in the first place. And of course, these loans are very easy to get, and are often given to people who don't qualify and may never be able to pay them back - shades of the mortgage crisis, if you will.

6. mooray

mooray Well-Known Member

One important lesson I learnt about how you handle people who you money; Don't interfere with their money-making schemes. Some of those probably earn through driving and if their driving license is revoked, then how are they supposed to work.

7. missbishi

missbishi Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure this is one of Cameron's little strategies to keep the poor people in their place. Limiting people's opportunities to move up in society ensures that there are always people who have no choice but to take the lowest paid jobs. This then allows the rich to maintain their wealth.

8. Profit5500

Profit5500 Senior Investor

I really hate that law I mean like how would you be able to pay the loan if you are poor and on the streets? I cannot see a poor person nor a student barely getting out of school and trying to find a steady job to help pay the bills lose his or her license for not paying the student loan with this law in place. I am glad that I do not live there in Montana.

9. pwarbi

pwarbi Senior Investor

I myself am not a fan of the way the British government is treating people of a certain class, and your right that this is just another way of keeping the working class in the lower paid jobs to keep the country running while the richer cream off the profits.

Why should they have to work hard when they can get others do it for them?

10. nissi

nissi Well-Known Member

Pretty lame because a lot of people just can't afford to repay. I heard about students protesting for free education and debt forgiveness. That's what needs to happen.