Thought Bookstores Are Dead?

Discussion in 'The Cocktail Lounge' started by Rainman, Nov 11, 2015.

1. gracer

gracer Senior Investor

Personally, I would never want bookstores to ever close because I still prefer reading physical books rather than e-books or other digital versions. Reading on a gadget irritates my eyes and gives me terrible headaches. I still prefer physical books because I like the feeling of manually flipping pages and there's something about the feel of a physical book that excites me when it comes to reading. Its a good thing Amazon has thought of opening a bookstore with real books in them. :)

2. briannagodess

briannagodess Well-Known Member

Well, the truth is, I go to bookstores and don't find as many people as before. With the exception of National Bookstore, which is also a school supplies store, all other bookstores here are quite empty as can be. When there are sales, people do visit the stores. But on normal days, I rarely find children or teens in here.

But I think that bookstores shouldn't even close. They are quite important in making children understand the wonders of reading. Maybe they just need to make the stores more innovative and novel to make people want to go in and buy something.

3. pwarbi

pwarbi Senior Investor

In the UK, bookstores are evolving and I often wonder why music stores didn't do the same when digital downloads starting replacing CD's.

Walk into a bookstore now and you can as well as buy books, you can plug in your kindle's and e-readers and download them that way, download free books to read, even get your lunch and a cup of coffee as well as being able to browse the traditional book shelves as well, so for me they've adapted to how the market as changed, and that should be commended.

4. thedeatheater1410

thedeatheater1410 Member

Bookstores aren't really dead, but they certainly have gone out of fashion, especially among the younger generations. People romanticise over how wonderful it is to go though tons of books at a store and then pick up a new one out of the blue. But seeing how bookstores don't allow you to read in the store it's more or less judging a book by its cover. It's far better to use online reviews like goodreads and Amazon to find out more about a book before buying it, which will you make a better choice.

5. TheApollonian

TheApollonian Well-Known Member

As long as books are being published in hardbound paper forms then bookstores will never die. Indie bookstores are popping up everywhere and even though they don't have the same discounts as Amazon who monopolized the market vast communities are spending more time and money in independent bookstores to keep the tradition going.

6. kgord

kgord Senior Investor

I love bookstores, but I haven't been in one in years. That is mostly because there are not any in this area. However, I do know where there is a big Barnes and Nobles..and I never go in there! I keep telling myself I need to stop. Next time! My local library is kind of a book center with books swaps and free books including some curent ones. I hope they never really die. There is nothing like a good bookstore...said from one who never goes in them!

7. gmckee1985

gmckee1985 Senior Investor

I'm a fan of book stores. I like to read and buy books, and I also enjoy the atmosphere of places like Barnes and Noble. They have good deals at times, but the main thing that keeps me from going more often is that you can often times find the items for much cheaper online. I know there's a lot of info online about book stores struggling but in my area, they seem to be doing pretty well.

8. SteakTartare

SteakTartare Senior Investor

I am nostalgic for bookstores. Oh, not the big box retail places, but rather those off-beat independent places that used to do the landscape. My wife and I spent many an hour on trips exploring such establishments. Some are still around, but the market has changed, so it is understandable why the shift occurred. Not to mention how people consume content is radically different now.

Anyway, interesting development, so thanks for sharing. :)