Thoughts Of Animal Dissection in Middle School and High School?

Discussion in 'The Cocktail Lounge' started by Rainman, Jan 15, 2016.

1. Rainman

Rainman Senior Investor

I've just read an article about a kid and her mother who are protesting against dissection of cats in the girl's school.

http://www.nbc29.com/story/30949320/mother-protesting-dissections-of-cats-at-culpeper-public-schools
    I know kids learn much from these dissections but it had me wondering if people are against the dissection of cats which animals should be dissected?

2. crimsonghost747

crimsonghost747 Senior Investor

I'm fine with it. It's school, it's a good way to learn, and all of this "we can't do this" talk is just one of those modern things where people get traumatized for life after seeing a mosquito get squashed. I don't see the harm.. then again I guess it could be mice (that's how the rest of the world does it!) since that just seems more reasonable on all levels.

3. Alex

Alex Senior Investor

The common animal was the frog and even in my class people were squeamish and sat it out. I do think it should be a choice as it can be hard to see such things and some children don't really understand death.

Even as adults many don't like the sight of blood, so I think it should be a choice. I remember people being sick when it was a dissection lesson, so I'm sure teachers are prepared for that too.

4. Penny

Penny Well-Known Member

If the animal dies for a reason other than specifically for the class, I think it is fine. A lot of cats are euthanised in shelters just because people let them breed irresponsibly. Using their remains for education gets some benefit from this terrible waste and helps draw people's attention to it. That said, if the child or family has ethically objections theyshould be able to opt out with a written permission slip--just as with any other topic where people may be sincerely ethically/morally opposed to it.

5. L_B

L_B Well-Known Member

I agree with this post. Nobody should be forced to do it if they are not comfortable doing so. Some kids wouldn't mind but for others it would be a bit too much. It shouldn't affect their mark in that case if they choose not to dissect a cat.

6. baudwalk

baudwalk Senior Investor

Parents need to get a grip. High school? Give me a break. It is SOP for the 5th grade at our grandchild's elementary school. Parents and the child have the option to opt out of the dissection (not a cat) component of the class. Our grandchild said no at first, then said yes, said "very interesting."

7. phoenix2015

phoenix2015 Well-Known Member

I'm not for or against it. I just question the necessity or relevance of dissecting animals for Junior High and High School Kids who aren't on a career path that would require such hands-on knowledge. I remember almost having a nervous breakdown at the thought of having to dissect a frog in High School. I carried on with it, but I think I was severely traumatised!!:eek:

8. ScooterBrandon

ScooterBrandon Senior Investor

Sometimes you have to step out of your comfort zone. Sometimes you have to do things in life that you might not want to do.
    I think it's important to learn, wide-spread education is one of the greatest achievements of the modern western world.
    This is a great, hands on lesson in biology. If you really love cats like this young lady claims, then getting to know how one functions on the inside is important. Perhaps it will lead to a career in a vet's office?
    We have got so hung-up on PCness and feelings we are forgetting how the real world works.
    I say make it mandatory and fail anyone who refuses.

9. Susimi

Susimi Senior Investor

I think kids should have a choice if they want to take part in these classes or not and I think any animal is fine to use as long as it was not killed specifically for dissection classes. Also using cats might be a little upsetting for some due to the emotional connection between the animal.

We never had these sorts of classes in my school but we studied it within books and videos.

10. JessieJ

JessieJ Guest

I dissected a pig when I was in middle school and I really did learn a lot from it and I don't think that anyone should be protesting against it because after all the animal is dead