Thrift Savings Plan

Discussion in '401k, IRA and Retirement' started by Guardian, Feb 20, 2015.

1. Guardian

Guardian Member

I was wondering if anyone else has the opportunity to use the Thrift Savings Plan, and if so, what are your thoughts and experiences with it? I have it, but I haven't contributed much as I don't fully understand the plan. I have heard a lot of people say it's great, but I don't get how it is better than a traditional retirement plan. Considering most options (as in mine) you don't get an employer match, and the earnings seem to be like a typical mutual fund. What I do understand is that the fees are lower. Does anyone have experience with the TSP and can help me?

All the information I have received from TSP, while explaining the benefits, just sounds like another mutual fund. What's better about it?

Thanks for the help in advance.

2. JR Ewing

JR Ewing Super Moderator Staff Member

That's the Federal civilian / military plan?

I don't have direct experience with it.

One thing I will say to be wary of these days are US Treasury debt instruments as investments - the interest on them is very low these days, and they are likely to get hammered when rates eventually rise - particularly the longterm bonds.

3. SteakTartare

SteakTartare Senior Investor

I'm only somewhat familiar with the program. The upshot is that it appears that there is some, albeit limited, matching for civilian employees, it's available to FERS, you can roll it over into an IRA if you leave government service, and they have ten different funds to pick from. The down side looks you limited to those ten funds, the matching isn't great, and if you're a military enlistee, the matching is available except in certain fields. If one is in government employment, it looks to be worth checking out, but I'd really compare it to other options.

P.S. Plus one to being wary of US Treasury debt instruments now a days. I did invest in them a decent amount years ago, but stay away now.

4. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Senior Investor

I have never heard of this plan before, sounds like it is for government employees? If you are not getting an employer match, you are probably better off getting your own private retirement plan so that you have more stock options available to you.