Time To Invest In Corporate America?

Discussion in 'Stock Market Forum' started by longtermbull, Nov 13, 2016.

1. longtermbull

longtermbull Administrator Staff Member

One thing is clear, Donald Trump is set to introduce varying degrees of protectionism under his US presidency. He may have made controversial comments, some of his PR work has been disastrous but all along he has promised to protect US businesses and the US workforce.

So, if he is good to his word and moves towards a protectionist agenda then surely it must be time to buy corporate America?

2. JR Ewing

JR Ewing Super Moderator Staff Member

I'm hoping that Trump's protectionist rhetoric was just that, and just a signal to countries like China and Mexico that we'd be looking out for our own interests for a change - instead of what is best for everyone else at our own expense.

I certainly do hope that he greatly reduces and eliminates as much of the excess regulations and DC administrative pork as he can. I think a sharp turn back towards a smaller, more efficient government with limited regulations and a lower corp tax will be very good for us in the mid to long term.

I still think we are due for a market downturn sometime during his first term, but hopefully it won't be anything too long or too disastrous... It's been ~ 8-9 years since we've seen a real bear market and a recession, and these things do occur roughly every 7 years or so historically... Hopefully the next recession will be mild in an economy with limited regs and lower taxation.

• Like Like x 1
  3. longtermbull

As an example, I think his plans for NATO are well overdue for the US (even though I am in the UK) as too many countries have broken their promise to invest 2% of GDP into defence (although the UK has not broken this promise). It is not up to the US to fund every war that NATO fights - France, Germany, etc need to step up to the plate now.

4. ciao

ciao Senior Investor

• Useful Useful x 1
  5. longtermbull

I think the UK will hit the pledge this year.

6. Alexis John

Alexis John Member

Nothing can be said at the moment, maybe Trump is not as dumb as we think

7. longtermbull

Whatever he is, he is a businessman. He knows how to make money.

• Agree Agree x 2