to rent or to buy a house?

Discussion in 'Buying & Selling Real Estate' started by babyleans, Jul 11, 2014.

1. Profit5500

Profit5500 Senior Investor

It would be better to save up your money now and see which are good to buy in the market. If you cannot afford the down payment then go for renting a home. Yeah you would have a rent to pay each month but you would be better off that way if you cannot put a down payment. So its up to you which one you would want to do.

2. Hedonologist

Hedonologist Well-Known Member

I would buy a house. I can understand why renting is sometimes beneficial like when at university, but Buying a house is investment in an asset. You can then pass this asset down to your children. That will either help them significantly with their own mortgage, or will free them from ever having a mortgage if they are an only child.

3. Muthoni

Muthoni Guest

It doesn’t matter how beautiful a house is if you cannot see it as a comfortable home. Buying a home should be based on the kind of life you live. If you have kids, you must consider if there is a school district before buying. The beauty of buying if you have the means is acquiring an asset that can help you on a rainy day. You can always sell or rent out if you do not want to live there anymore.

4. jason

jason Guest

I'm not sure where I want to settle down yet so it's better for me to rent now. I like not having to deal with the costs of repairs and upkeep for an apartment or house I'm only going to be in for a few years. I'll eventually buy a house when I know where I'm going to stay put.

5. caparica007

caparica007 Well-Known Member

If we can't afford buying or credit, there's not much choice is there? But ideally I think that everyone would go for buying, that is no doubt the best investment.

6. LuckyGirl08

LuckyGirl08 Guest

It really all depends on how long you plan on staying in the house. If it is a short period of time then I would just rent but if you really like the house and plan on living there for a long time then I would buy it. When I decide to purchase my first house, the main thing that I am going to look at is the location. I do not want a house in a location with a bad reputation. The second thing that I would look at is the price and if it is really worth buying.

7. Investor

Investor Well-Known Member

It all depends on your current position in life, if you are young married people or a young professional, you may want to rent until you have enough credit to buy a house, buying a house is the best investment you may ever make so organise yourself before rushing to do so.

8. moneyman

moneyman Well-Known Member

It is lucrative to buy an own house if you are planning to live there longer than a couple of years. Now mortgage interest is quite low so if you can afford to pay it, it is always better choice than renting an apartment. Remember to check how the values of the houses change so that you will get some profit whilst selling the house.

9. Gelsemium

Gelsemium Senior Investor

It's a complex matter, why does Germany for example has one of the lowest rates of owners in Europe? And they have a good credit there.

10. JR Ewing

JR Ewing Super Moderator Staff Member

Might be due to high property taxes or some other de-motivating factors discouraging home ownership.