Today ...

Discussion in 'Stock Market Forum' started by SteakTartare, Aug 25, 2015.

1. SteakTartare

SteakTartare Senior Investor

Well, what can I say, today was brutal.

[​IMG]

Here's hoping it isn't the start of nasty trend.

2. User911

User911 Well-Known Member

I bought stock earlier in the year, now I'm kicking myself because I could have gotten it on sale today and probably in the near future. On the other hand, this could be "the big one" and we could all be seriously crying in our beers in the upcoming months. We've been at the edge in every other way for years. All the stops have been pulled out and there isn't much that can be tweaked by anyone in an attempt to turn us around. There is no financial buffer either. We're already 18 trillion in debt. The ONLY thing that has been decent is the stock market and if that goes.... The next few weeks will be very telling...

3. baudwalk

baudwalk Senior Investor

Monday's market antics only dropped my holdings 5%. Holding long... last thing I'm gonna do is panic sell. This too shall pass, and in the meanwhile automatic dividend reinvestment just buys more shares at lower prices.

I only wish I had some ammunition in hand to have added more to $AAPL when it dipped below $100 at the open. Had one been sitting on the transaction button and paying attention, there was a ~$13 dollar swing (~$95->~$108) in 3 hours between market open and 12:30 pm.

4. Rainman

Rainman Senior Investor

There's no need to panic. There won't be a global crash. European markets after falling bounced back. The fed rate hike which had investors a little concerned might be pushed to 2016. So odds are U.S stocks will recover. Soon.

5. pwarbi

pwarbi Senior Investor

The figures don't make for great reading, I must admit but I also don't think there's any reason to panic just yet. A few more days or weeks of that though and that's when people will start to panic, that's when the danger is as when people start to lose confidence, that's what sets the ball rolling into a crash, although I think that's a long way off just now.

6. MJAlex

MJAlex Member

It always bounces back at one point or another. That is, until the worth of the US dollar falls immensely which is bound to happen with how this country is collecting debt, but that's not for a while anyway.

As long as those with stocks can ride the wave and refrain from taking the loss, it'll turn up for at least the ability to break even in the end.

7. AtlantaSports

AtlantaSports Senior Investor

You make that first statement sound like it is not going to happen for awhile. America's dollar is going to plummet very soon, whether we like it or not.

8. Hyperion

Hyperion Well-Known Member

It seems like every 7 years there is a stock market problem. I was reading something about this on some other (semi-conspiracy oriented) websites. I used to not put much stock in such things, but there has been a lot of weird stuff going on the last few years that makes me think there might be something to it this time. I'm going to be paying close attention to this UN meeting next month and the Agenda 2030 program that will be announced.

Financial markets do not seem safe right now. The world does not seem safe at all.

9. petesede

petesede Guest

yeah, the EU and Japan are holding. I agree completely, I think the Fed hike is going to get pushed at least a few more months. All told, this is going to be a big win for the USA and US markets because it opened up a lot of eyes to how immature the Chinese gov´t is at this type of thing. The money that is leaving the china markets is not going to go back and for at least a generation, we do not have to worry about the US dollar not being the standard currency. The other big thing is that with all this craziness in China, it has pushed down the rates the US gov´t has to pay to borrow money... thank you China for helping to balance the USA´s budget.

Remember folks, you don´t lose money on an investment unless you panic sell at the bottom. Good companies ( which is what you should own) are good companies and the stock price will recover.

10. petesede

petesede Guest

It is nice to look at stuff like that for entertainment value, and certainly there are lessons that can be learned by policy makers.. but if you think the US Housing market and the China stock market were able to ´coordinate´ with each other to do this 7 years apart, you are too much a tin foil hate peson. The actual causes of the last two problems were similar, but they were done by competing governments for different reasons. Clinton helped cause the 2008 crash by pushing for lower standards for home ownership. This combined with the financial issues caused by the Bush War is what caused 2007. China is melting because last year their gov´t pushed for lower standards to borrow money for investments. Just as a lot of unqualified people were buying houses last decade, a lot of unqualified people were borrowing money to put into the stock market in China. In both cases, the changes in qualifications to borrow money created a bubble, which burst.

But there is no way this could have been orchestrated between them.