Tonight is the night to see if Trump and Sanders are for real. Make your guess

Discussion in 'Politics Discussion' started by petesede, Feb 1, 2016.

1. Alex

Alex Senior Investor

I think she will lose New Hampshire as Sanders in very popular there, plus it's next to Vermont. I have a friend in New Hampshire and on her Facebook there are constant posts and photos of him there. In a way that evens it out, and I imagine she knows that New Hampshire belongs to Sanders.

2. baudwalk

baudwalk Senior Investor

Talking heads on CNN, Fox and MSNBC can drive one nuts. No matter how you cut it, the bottom line is no one won anything in Iowa. Delegate counts are the only things that matter, and there is a 3-way tie for Rep and a 2-way tie for Dem. Iowa just began the winnowing process, long overdue on the Rep side. Giddyup.

3. anders

anders Well-Known Member

Hillary won 6 out of 6 coin tosses in the tied Iowa caucuses. Not an impossibility, but it does suggest that she might in some way have the devil on her side. That said, I won a 70-to-1 shot in a horse race once, so these statistical anomalies do sometimes happen. If she wins the next 6 coin tosses we'll definitely know she has demonic support behind her......

4. SteakTartare

SteakTartare Senior Investor

LOL! Well, I don't normally subscribe to supernatural explanations. However, with the Clintons ... yah, I'd be willing to believe the Prince of Darkness has their back. ;)

5. petesede

petesede Guest

O´Malley was waiting/hoping that the email scandal would force Hillary out of the race before Iowa.

There are tons of ulterior motives going on in elections. For instance, Huckabee and Santorum stayed in the race for Iowa mainly to hurt Cruz. The 6 or so percent that they got would have almost entirely gone for Cruz. So the end result is that the media reports that Cruz squeaked out a win in a state that is tailor made for him and that he lived in for 4 months. Now Santorum and Huckabee will go right back to Fox News and get a big paycheck for helping to keep Cruz down.

The establishment candidates are Bush and Rubio. The establishment does not want Cruz to win because of what he did in 2013 when he blackmailed Republicans in senate and almost caused a gov´t shutdown by himself. We will see what happens with Carson, but I would bet that the Establishment is going to pay him to stay in the race until Super Tuesday to maybe prevent Cruz from winning some of those states where Huckabee won in 2008. If Carson takes another 8-10% of evangelical votes away from Cruz, it may be enough to allow Rubio to take some of those southern states.

6. petesede

petesede Guest

With the early states, there is much more than just winning and losing. Rubio arguably had the best night in Iowa, and he only came in third. Trump had by far the worst night, and he came in second. Hillary got a few more delegates than Bernie, but she lost Iowa.

Bernie is definitely going to win NH, and probably by double digits, but Hillary is campaigning there just to beat expectations. If she only loses by like 9 points, people will see that as a win for her.

7. petesede

petesede Guest

Maybe the coin did not flip over :) (football joke if you don´t understand).

I am not going to say they cheat, but the candidates that have the bigger ground game and have been in states the longest have the most people in ´important places´.. there is no doubt that Hillary and Cruz benefited by having most of their people running the elections in many of the precincts, it is just a part of ´ground game´. It is the reason Trump printed thousands of voter registration forms for Iowa, it was common knowledge that the precincts were planning on running out to prevent new people form registering who they thought would mainly be Trump supporters.

8. Alex

Alex Senior Investor

Maybe Iowa will encourage more people to vote? I think when people see how close it was and that they can make a difference, particularly in the Democrats camp.

Iowa has shown that the Republicans are very divided, and is that good for a party? How many types of Republicans are there, as it seems to be too many?

9. Kate

Kate Senior Investor

Could help with getting people out to vote, I suppose, yes... or maybe the opposite... maybe they'd think that since it's already so close, what's one "little" vote going to do to change it. (I've known that type of person.)

How many type of Republicans are there? I'd have to say that there aren't any more types than there are different types of Dems. ;) Seriously, look at the vast differences even between Clinton and Sanders, yes?

10. baudwalk

baudwalk Senior Investor

Last edited: Feb 3, 2016