Total Noob Alert

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Amelie, Jan 13, 2016.

1. Amelie

Amelie Member

Please bear with me guys. I know next to nothing about investing, but I'm desperate to learn. 30 is not too late, right? I'm excited to find a thriving community filled with intelligent and opinionated people. The discussions are so engaging, but they're at such a high level that I'm hesitant to just jump right it. Nevertheless, I look forward to interacting with all of you. :)

2. Kate

Kate Senior Investor

Welcome, Amelie! And 30 is absolutely, positively not too late to learn! In fact, I suspect it's much better that way than not really having matured wisdom and starting as a much younger person. Maybe everyone isn't as impulsive as I was very young, but I cringe to think of some of the investment choices I would have made back then!

Don't hesitate to jump in at all! Find a thread you have a question or comment about and jump right in with both feet. No one bites here... well wait, there's.... JUST kidding! :)

Seriously, I hope you find topics you enjoy and can join us in any of them.

3. crimsonghost747

crimsonghost747 Senior Investor

Welcome!
    30 is definitely not too late, in fact I think you are earlier than most. Do you have something specific that you are learning, or a specific reason why you want to learn about investing?

4. ScooterBrandon

ScooterBrandon Senior Investor

Never too late my friend!
    First steps at any age are good.

5. kgord

kgord Senior Investor

Well, I would say you have come to the right place. Welcome and I hope you enjoy the community. There is no doubt you will learn something about investing here. And most certainly many opinionated people exist on this site. I hope it helps you.

6. Amelie

Amelie Member

Thanks for the warm welcome, guys. :) Crimsonghost747, I'm hoping to establish a flourishing fund for my mother so she'll be comfortable until she's well into her 90s. I'm looking at some mutual funds because I'm still at the process of trying to get my feet wet, and I don't want to take big risks so early on. I've mostly been a time deposit gal for the past 10 years, but I feel like I'm just wasting my money that way. And THAT'S where you guys come in. I need some expert help - stat! Haha! Thanks again. I can't wait to explore the forum.

7. Amelie

Amelie Member

Oh man, Kate, I've made some financial decisions in the past that I'm still kicking myself over. It's staggering to realize how ignorant and idiotic I've been, especially since I've always thought of myself as fairly smart. Maybe I do need to be bitten by someone here - is financial savvy contagious? Haha! Thanks for the welcome!

8. phoenix2015

phoenix2015 Well-Known Member

If 30 is too late, then I am in trouble!! I would like to think that it is never too late to improve any area of your life. Especially finances! The things we learn, and implement, right now, set the course for our future, regardless of what age we are! What do you think?

9. Kate

Kate Senior Investor

:D I think any of us who have *not* made those horrid financial decisions in the past probably wouldn't succeed when we're older, either... we needed the experience. We were ignorant with the definition of not being educated in it, *but* never idiotic. It's how we learn

Contagious? I guess it is if we learn whose advice to follow :) ... *but* I wouldn't really advise this. It takes hard word and a lot of research on our own to make the decisions that will best serve *us*... I've found that everyone has tons of financial advice on ways to make a lot of money... as long as it's not their own money they're risking.

So anyhow, all that to say that you will be able to pick up a LOT of excellent tips here at the forum. Weigh it all against what you know your own goals and needs are, and you'll do fine!

10. crimsonghost747

crimsonghost747 Senior Investor

Yeah take your time to learn before putting any serious money into the market. Mutual funds are a good choice for a beginner as they offer good diversification and, in general, don't really require you to do a lot of managing. So looks like you are on the right track. :)