Traditions?

Discussion in 'The Cocktail Lounge' started by Susimi, Dec 26, 2015.

1. Susimi

Susimi Senior Investor

Do any of you have any sort of tradition that you follow? Can be anything really from something once a year to all year around.

My tradition is that of setting lap times within a racing game on important dates in the year, like on my birthday and on Christmas day. I got in the habit of doing it when I first got my PS2 many many years ago and with Gran Turismo 3 it shows the date in which you set the fastest lap, so every year I've just got into that habit of setting a fastest lap time within a racing game so that later the next year I can look on it and think to myself "I did that". It might seem weird but it's the stuff I got into haha.

What about your traditions, if any?

2. Scooby Snack

Scooby Snack Well-Known Member

You just made me want to revisit the original Gran Turismo, LOL. Also you may have inspired me to take up a favorite game once a year...maybe an old Final Fantasy title or Castlevania or something.

Can't think of any real traditions...I suppose with times being what they are, having things to look forward to is a healthy coping mechanism.

3. kgord

kgord Senior Investor

Well we used to have a family tradition of going to a big extended family Christmas party on Christmas Eve...but people drifted away and it stopped being held unfortuantely. I would like to see it start up again...but it is doubtful it will. Also, I have always traditionally had ham on Christmas..but I broke with tradition and had beef this year...just felt like a change of pace...Ham will be on tap for Easter.

4. Susimi

Susimi Senior Investor

I'd recommend taking it up and giving it a try. I know it might seem silly when viewed with the bigger picture in mind but seeing a replay or just my username with the time next to it is a little bit of a boost to my morale in the sense that I achieved it.

It is whatever works for someone I think :)

5. Rainman

Rainman Senior Investor

We've got this weird Christmas tradition.

When I was a kid, on Christmas eve we'd always attend a midnight mass. We weren't Catholics, that's the odd thing. Being out that late and while we were still that young made us feel, well, like adults. So each year [since we loved this as kids], we take our young relatives out and attend that midnight mass. I couldn't this year though, I was a little indisposed :(

6. Susimi

Susimi Senior Investor

That's a lovely story and sorry to hear you couldn't follow your tradition this year around.

I've only attended midnight mass one and I have to be honest I did not think much of it, but at my first school we had a tradition every Christmas where we would walk to the church just up the road from the school and we would have a small service where we would sing carols. Thinking back it was pretty nice but things have changed and the church has changed a lot since then.

7. Alex

Alex Senior Investor

My brother and I always see the Star War films together, but as we have grown older, some traditions aren't always practical. I think they are nice to do, but one should have them as nice memories more than try to keep them alive when they aren't as much fun.

8. TheApollonian

TheApollonian Well-Known Member

One weird tradition we have in our house is to open half of the presents during Christmas and half during New Year. My parents think that opening gifts during the new year is a great way to start the year and open up spritual chakra of goodness-- I think. Another tradition that we have at home is getting all the relatives drunk by midnight and debating each other passive-aggressively about politics and gender. Good times.

9. L_B

L_B Well-Known Member

We always had a tradition where Christmas day was spent at my parent's house for a huge Christmas feast and then we would all go to my sister's on Boxing day. We did that for so many years but once my parents passed away our family was divided and now it is all a thing of the past. I am not working on new family tradition's with my children and grandchildren.

10. Susimi

Susimi Senior Investor

Do you ever think about reviving the big Christmas day feast as a sort of nod to times past, even if it's just with your own family now?

When I was younger my mum always used to do a big Christmas dinner that was pretty amazing.