Trump or No Trump? What Do You Say?

Discussion in 'Politics Discussion' started by Ohh22, Dec 30, 2015.

1. JR Ewing

JR Ewing Super Moderator Staff Member

My biggest issues with a Trump nomination are that much of what he says is just impossible hot air promised to get many who don't know better to support him - it's the other side of the same coin to the dems always talking about more free stuff, higher minimum wages, "equal pay", taxing the rich, etc... not to mention stopping terrorism by weakening US foreign policy and eliminating fossil fuel-induced global warming, gun ownership, "income inequality", etc. :rolleyes:

And much of what he proposes is often unconstitutional and could only hope to be achieved by greatly expanding the size and power of the federal govt - particularly the executive branch.

I've had enough big govt in recent years - time to get back to a federal govt that acts Constitutionally, is reduced in size and scope, and doesn't do a whole lot more than provide a national defense, a sensible immigration policy, emergency response when requested by states as needed, an assertive foreign policy to protect our interests abroad, and an invisible hand in the private sector to minimize fraud and harm to the citizens and punish violators accordingly.

I'm really tired of the executive branch of the US government and its administrative agencies "fundamentally transforming America".

Last edited: Jan 2, 2016
  2. petesede

petesede Guest

Republicans are all in favor of not giving away freebies and deceasing the size of the government.

Would love to hear your take on.

Farm Subsidies to corporate farmers? Freebies that are never going away and do you think any Republican would talk about them as ´freebies´ in Iowa?
    Tax Breaks and Loopholes created for big oil companies? Are those freebies also?

the amount of corporate subsidies we give away as ´freebies´ dwarves what we spend on domestic programs for the poor.

So you want to cut the size of the goverment?
    What do you say about 50% of the Department of Homeland Security?
    How about a 50% decrease in the size of the military? or you think it is useful to drop $6M tomahawk missles on camel-hair tents that cost $5.

Small gov´t and ´freebies´ are just buzzwords Republicans use to talk about Democratic programs. But they shut up when you start pointing out their own bloated gov´t issues and corporate freebies. It was like Michelle Bachman complaining about ´freebies´ and at the same time collecting gov´t money for her farms. Or that racist rancher in Wyoming a few years ago talking about blacks getting food stamps, and at the same time he wasn´t paying grazing fees for his cattle on Federal land.

If blacks get it, it is a freebie.. if whites get it, it is somehow acceptable to you?

3. JR Ewing

JR Ewing Super Moderator Staff Member

How many times do I have to say that NATIONAL DEFENSE is what the federal govt was created to do, and is still pretty much all the federal govt should do? We only spend about 17% of our federal budget on the military. Currently 68% of our federal budget is on entitlements.

If we could somehow miraculously cut the other 83% of non-military spending in half, even if we kept military spending at the same dollar amount (we can always reduce waste somewhere I'm sure), we'd reduce overall spending over 40%. Of course then you leftists would be complaining that we "increased" military spending from 17% to 29% of the budget, even though the actual dollar amount of military spending would be the same.

4. anders

anders Well-Known Member

I get what you're saying, but underwriting the farming industry is prudential given that you're ensuring your food security. A nation that can't supply its own food needs is a weak and vulnerable one. Ensuring that farmers can keep farming and smoothing out the cash flows in the food business makes good sense. The same is also true about the oil industry: it is more about national security than anything else.

5. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Senior Investor

It is going to be an absolute no Trump for me here. I plain out do not like him. Some of the things he says and does are appalling and disgusting. I will not be a part of what his plans are for this country. I am embarrassed as an American citizen when I hear about some of the things he wants to do with immigration and everything else.

6. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Senior Investor

I will not be voting for Trump as I do not have any respect for the man. Some of the things that come out of his mouth are absolute crap and they embarrass me as being a US citizen. I do not agree with his foreign policy or the fact that he would put a ban on Muslims visiting America or building a gigantic wall to keep Mexicans from crossing over. Feels like he is out to start problems that he can't fix.

7. anders

anders Well-Known Member

I still think that the GOP wont allow Trump to be their Presidential nominee, no matter how the primary elections go. There are some very large vested interests that have to be served by a future Republican President, and the party needs to know that he, or she, will serve those interests with the attendant care they've come to expect. Trump is too much of a loose cannon, and he just doesn't care. Forget that he's popular with the voter base, he's not popular enough with the top 0.1% of the party, and that's just not good enough.

8. danben

danben Member

I have mixed feelings on Trump. I do like his bluntness and his ability to demand attention (could help if he were to be elected and had to pass a bill) however he is very judgmental. I just wish he was not so racist, or at the least so outspoken of with his racism. And as far as he would do as president, I have no idea. To me Trump is like a wild card pick.

9. knitmehere

knitmehere Well-Known Member

As many have said, Trump is a joke. The odds of him actually becoming the Republican candidate are low, in my opinion, and if he was then I think the majority of people would vote for whoever is running against him, no matter which Democrat makes it that far.

10. phoenix2015

phoenix2015 Well-Known Member

One thing about Trump, whether one likes it or not, is that people listen to him. People know him. People talk about him. People can't stop talking about him. He has shaken up the American political scene, and it will never be the same. He is touching a chord in most of us. It's better not to label it good or bad. We have all known for a while that politics in Washington are this or that... And we have always wished somebody would come in and be different and change things.... well... Here he is folks. Like him or not, Here that guy is. I personally couldn't stand watching him on the apprentice, because he is the epitome of an arrogant jerk, but guess what, we don't have to like our leaders, we have to trust our leaders. And Donald Trump left a lifestyle of fortune and fame. New York penthouses and TV shows to come and do what he is doing. He will take a serious dip in lifestyle if he moves into the White House. He will work more hours every day for an annual income that he probably spends on restaurants every year. He is not in this for the money... he has tons of it. He is not in this for the power.... he has tons of it. He's not in this for the fame ... he has tons of it. I personally never liked the guy until, I saw how he put all of that aside to come and spend countless hours traveling around , giving all of the energy he has to give. He sees something he doesn't like happening with our country. And he is determined to do something about it. I don't LIKE him. But I RESPECT and ADMIRE him. He is a leader.

Tags: