TSLA unveils previously teased products, down 7% today

Discussion in 'Stock Market Forum' started by downloads, Oct 10, 2014.

1. downloads

downloads Well-Known Member

Classic case of "buy the rumor, sell the news".

Last week, Tesla CEO Elon Musk teased on Twitter that they would be "revealing the D" and unveiling "something else". The internet went wild with speculations, but most agreed that the "D" would be some sort of all-wheel drive variant and the "something else" would be autonomous driving.

At Tesla's event last night, they did in face unveil a dual motor, all-wheel drive version of their popular Model S. The something else turned out to be an automated lane change, rather than an entirely autonomous driving system (which is till a few years away). Stock is down 7% today, and Musk's shares are worth $500 million less than they were.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/samanth...points-costs-elon-musk-more-than-500-million/

2. troutski

troutski Guest

Meh. Not a big deal at all. Musk could have that money back within a few days. I would kill to own a Tesla vehicle if they weren't so darn expensive. I see Tesla as a successful, growing company long-term. The dips will come and go, same as the rises.

3. Sugarhill

Sugarhill Guest

I agree, he probably isn't fazed in the least, just the notion of losing $500 million is overwhelming to even read!

4. richc3

richc3 Senior Investor

Betting against TSLA nowadays is like betting against Apple a few years ago. That said, I think all of this was already incorporated into the stock price initially sort of like how Apple tends to drop when they unveil a "new" device.

Oh man, I remember eyeballing TSLA around $50 or so and talking myself out of buying shares. Who knew...?

5. Nho Huynh

Nho Huynh Guest

Тhе рrоblеms wіth еlесtrіс vеhісlеs аrе tо blаmе fоr thе рооr sаlеs соmраrеd tо gаs vеhісlеs.

Јust dо а сhесk lіst оn whо wіns.

Рrісе? Gаs
    Реrfоrmаnсе? Gаs
    Rаngе? Gаs
    Ѕеrvісе frіеndlу? Gаs
    Еnvіrоnmеntаllу Frіеndlу? Еlесtrіс, unlеss уоur еlесtrісіtу іs sоurсе frоm соаl fіrеd рlаnts, thеn Gаs.

Аs а fоrmеr оwnеr оf а hуbrіd, thе gаs орtіоn wаs thеrе whеn drіvіng іn Еlесtrіс Моdе wаs іmроssіblе. Тhеrе wаs а рrісе рrеmіum соmраrеd tо thе gаs mоdеl, but іts rаngе аnd quіеtnеss mаdе thе dіffеrеnсе. Аn аll еlесtrіс vеhісlе(nоt уоu Vоlt-ЕLR уоu аrе stіll а hуbrіd оf sоrts) іs usuаllу vеrу ехреnsіvе соmраrеd tо sіmіlаr gаs mоdеls аnd саn nеvеr gо оn lоng trірs....nеvеr!

Fоrd hаs dеvеlореd а С-Мах Еnеrgі wіth sоlаr раnеls thаt сhаrgе thе drіvіng bаttеrіеs whісh mау сhаngе аll thе rulеs, but оnlу thе sоuthеrn rеgіоns wоuld nоt bеnеfіt frоm thіs. Тhе оnlу wау еlесtrіс vеhісlеs wоuld еvеr саtсh оn іf thеrе wаs а bаttеrу swар nеtwоrk thаt wоuld swіtсh fullу сhаrgеd сеlls fоr drаіnеd оnеs quісkеr аnd сhеареr thаn fіllіng uр а gаs саr.
    Тhеrе аrе 3 rеаsоns whу thіs wіll nоt hарреn: іt іs ехреnsіvе, thе fеаt оf сrеаtіng suсh а nеtwоrk іs сurrеntlу unfеаsіblе аnd thе Оіl соmраnіеs wоuld nеvеr lеt іt hарреn.

6. cameronpalte

cameronpalte Well-Known Member

Its interesting that the shares are down that much on the news, I have trouble believing that anyone thinks they would have successfully developed a fully autonomous car by this time - I think autonomous lane changing is quite impressive. Still because of how high TSLA stock is I understand the extremely high expectations.

7. downloads

downloads Well-Known Member

Other than range, no one with any serious knowledge of these cars would agree with the above. Range is slightly lower than some of the bigger-tanked gas cars, but electric cars are basically there.

I'm not even a fan of the Tesla Model S, but the Model S "wins" on all of the topics on your list.

Price? The Model S cheaper than it's European competitor in its segment (plus there's a federal tax credit in the US and possibly state credits). There are several sub $25,000K electric vehicles in the US. This is the low end for cars, and they also come with tax credits.

Performance? The Model S has an incredible 0-60 time and massive amounts of torque. The new dual motor P85D has 691 horsepower and is faster than a Ferrari that costs 3x as much. BMW's electric vehicles also have great performance.

"Friendly" Service? I don't know what friendly is supposed to mean but that's not an objective measurement. The Tesla has an 8 year/UNLIMITED miles warratny. Not one single auto manufacturer has a warranty like that. Advantage, Tesla. Even for the BMW, Toyota, Chevy, etc electric vehicles, their warranties are the EXACTLY THE SAME as their gasoline models. So, at worst you can say it's a tie.

Environmentally friendly? The people who are buying an electric vehicle are more likely to install solar panels, and many of the public charging facilities exclusively use solar panels. Not to mention some of these cars are made from highly-recyclable and environmentally friendly materials.

8. JR Ewing

JR Ewing Super Moderator Staff Member

Good company, but the stock is way overpriced. Even Musk says as much.

9. Sugarhill

Sugarhill Guest

Yeah, I have to agree with downloads, especially in regards to the Tesla. Part of its appeal is that it is such a high performance electric car and I've always thought that the initial trade off in the purchasing price was made up for abundantly through the tax credits and the ability to use electricity for your car.

I also can't imagine people really wanting switch out cells for their power. It's too easy to forget and those cells will most likely not be light, it would be like switching out your car battery and those things weigh a ton.