Turkey Shot Down a Russian War Plane

Discussion in 'Politics Discussion' started by Rainman, Nov 25, 2015.

1. crimsonghost747

crimsonghost747 Senior Investor

Yeah I'm inclined to believe the Russians in this one. Yes we know that they tend to fly their aircraft into the airspace of other countries. But does that warrant them to shoot you down? Not really, this has happened tens if not hundreds of times with Russian military aircraft and everytime a simple warning has been enough. I'm rarely inclined to believe the Russians but seeing as Turkey is just as untrustworthy I think it's time to throw the "confidence factor" out and look at the information available... certainly looks like an over reaction by Turkey.

2. kgord

kgord Senior Investor

Dang, what concerns me about this, is that we seem to be inching ever closer to World War III which may be the end of the world as we know it. Now, Turkey is involved in this Middle East fiasco. I mean so what if the plane was in Turkey's airspace...Does that deserve shooting down and killing the Russian pilots? Shame on you Turkey!

3. Matt ryan

Matt ryan New Member

As an AF vet, I can tell you this is a dangerous precedent. Erdogan used his NATO backing to show his constituents his tough side. The US should reevaluate some of its alliances.

4. Matt ryan

Matt ryan New Member

agreed

You can't issue 10 warnings in 17 seconds, it's physically impossible.

5. djordjem87

djordjem87 Well-Known Member

I do not expect multiple wars as someone wrote here. I think it will a big one. The reason is here they just need some feedback from NATO. I cannot see how a global war can be avoided but i hope it will be. It would be a total disaster and it makes me sick to imagine what would happen with world in that case. As for this particular case of shooting the Russian Air plane i am wondering who is lying and whether the thing was really in Turkey airspace or not. Now it doesn't matter really because it is about to become a new Franz Ferdinand.

6. Alex

Alex Senior Investor

The Turks have released their alleged audio recordings of the warnings, however, there is no proof they were genuine nor was any response from the Russians shown. The story that it is normal rules of engagement doesn't wash, as records indicate this incident has happened several hundred time, where a plane has entered the airspace for a few seconds.

It maybe that Turkey had been waiting for an opportunity like this, and had premeditated the reaction. Alliances should be for the truth, and not because a country belongs to an organization.

7. Rainman

Rainman Senior Investor

Russia's response will negatively impact Turkey's economy. 15% of Turkey's food products don't meet Russian standards and no longer will the Russian authorities ignore that. A huge loss for Turkey. But the bigger loss would be the $4 billion they'll lose since many Russians no longer will be traveling to Turkey. I'm sure they'll regret having shot down that Russian warplane.

8. crimsonghost747

crimsonghost747 Senior Investor

Yeah Russian and Turkey are pretty big trade partners so IF things do escalate from here then it could be very bad for the Turkish economy.

9. pwarbi

pwarbi Senior Investor

While something as serious as this can't really be put down to just a one off, a mistake or gut reaction by a guy with an itchy trigger finger, it does seem a bit of a strange decision by Turkey to shoot the jet down.

As other have said, not only can Russia see it as being stabbed in the back by them, and relations will undoubtedly source, Turkey will lose out on the economic platform also, aswell as having to explain itself to other nations in NATO who won't want to be dragged in to any kind of war because of it.

10. Susimi

Susimi Senior Investor

The situation really does not make any sense to me.

The only thing I can think of is that Turkey is trying to play the "big tough guy" act in showing that it won't be messed with by anyone. That's all very well and good, but considering the situation and with the fighting so close to their own borders, I would have thought Turkey would have come up with some sort of agreements with the Russians over airspace violations and such.