Turkish Stock Market - Borsa Istanbul a 5% increase in a day!

Discussion in 'General Trading Discussion' started by Mr.Robinson, Mar 26, 2014.

1. Mr.Robinson

Mr.Robinson Member

The Turkish Stock Market, Borsa Istanbul has enjoyed a 5% overall increase in stock prices in one day, today.
    Despite the increasing pressure of local elections this weekend, the increase was fueled by the rise of stock prices in the banking industry due to a regulation change allowing the banks to receive interest for the overnight money they keep for outgoing credits.

The bullish rally may continue in the next few days, but beware of a heavy drop in case of a possible defeat in the upcoming elections this weekend for the currently leading political party of AKP in Turkey.

The crisis in Crimea is also another pressure item for Borsa Istanbul, however it may serve as a positive item right after the elections, allowing a safe harbor for the renegade Russian investments accross US/European stockmarkets.

2. crimsonghost747

crimsonghost747 Senior Investor

These are definitely interesting times on the market. I really don't understand how they can jump around so much, the income potential of owning these companies doesn't really change in a day so it's mainly just people panick selling because they think that others will panic sell or buying like crazy because they think that others will buy like crazy.

3. Mr.Robinson

Mr.Robinson Member

Correct, but the thing with Borsa Istanbul currently is very interesting. Such an increase in times of many political unknowns.
    It could be speculative, however on the other hand it may just be simply because of the lower prices of stocks compared to last year.

4. crimsonghost747

crimsonghost747 Senior Investor

5% in a day is definitely speculative. Especially since it was going upwards. Large moves almost always have some reason behind them, but going up 5% in a day is too much for someone realising that the market is undervalued.

5. ursell

ursell Guest

I'm new to forum and stock marketing is there a good website that I can go to learn how to invest? Learn what stock to invest in?
    Do I have to have a lot of money to invest in stocks?

6. JR Ewing

JR Ewing Super Moderator Staff Member

I'd start reading books mentioned here previously right away. If you have a work plan such as a 401k, I'd start investing in that right away as well. If you don't feel comfortable picking your own investments, you can put $ into a few better managed mutual funds or even an index fund if nothing else.

If you have at least a few grand to invest, you might want to consult with a professional at a local bank or firm. If you don't have that much, you should still start investing with what you have and add to it as often as possible.

Don't be afraid to hold the money in cash for a little while (if you plan to do your own investing) while you learn enough to be comfortable enough to start putting a few bucks into actual investments at least a little at a time.

7. leahcim132

leahcim132 Guest

I'm relatively new to all this too and this is really helpful. I will definitely read some books and consult some professionals.

8. BudFox

BudFox Well-Known Member

If I was a newbie investor right now, I'd steer clear of Markets such as Turkish stocks. 90% of their movement depends on outside factors such as the middle east and Russia, not to mention their even wilder currency fluctuations (look at the Lira over the last few months).