Twitter is losing MAU's

Discussion in 'Politics Discussion' started by baudwalk, Nov 4, 2015.

1. baudwalk

baudwalk Senior Investor

Monthly Average Users count is going down. Guess I'll be holding $TWTR longer than expected. The Islamic State (aka ISIS and ISIL) has a new favorite social media network (http://www.thefiscaltimes.com/2015/11/03/ISIS-Has-New-Favorite-Social-Media-Network).

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 8, 2016
  2. Rainman

Rainman Senior Investor

They'll need to find new better ways to lure in new users. Currently they are trying something new hoping that it will make Twitter less confusing to new users. I wonder though if this will make a difference.

http://www.wired.com/2015/11/twitte...are-about-getting-new-users-and-keeping-them/
    Twitter just replaced its star icon with a heart button . . . Twitter has this history of changing their product to reflect emergent user behavior, and that’s been good for them . . .

If their growth problems persist then Twitter's stock prices will keep dropping.

3. turt

turt Guest

There's so many other alternatives to Twitter, I don't see how they can continue to gain users. Of course the media pushes Twitter but when that changes, who knows if people will continue to use it.

4. baudwalk

baudwalk Senior Investor

My post was tongue-in-cheek, peeps.

Some analysts, for reasons I can't fathom, have tunnel vision when it comes to quarterly and annual earnings reports. The analysts focus on the MAU count to the exclusion of everything else. The last earnings report was just a few days ago.

But to your comments: (1) If you looked at the actual tweets there has been quite a push back on the hearts business -- I wouldn't be surprised to see some sort of modification to the change -- but users of the TweetCaster/TweetCaster Pro app still have stars. As of yesterday TweetDeck users still have stars. Tempest in a teapot. (2) For the umpteenth time, Twitter is not at all like Facebook. Two different animals. One is instantaneous news and messaging. The other is akin to posting stuff on the bulletin board at the exit of the grocery store. Twitter needs to do a better job explaining itself to easily confused business pundits who don't pay attention and deliver imprecise information to their readers or viewers.

But again, my post was tongue-in-cheek, peeps. :)

Last edited: Nov 5, 2015
  5. kgord

kgord Senior Investor

I am on Twitter, but I rarely use it. I guess that hearing random thoughts of people doesn't really appeal to me. I me the people I am following or that follow me seem to have little in common with me so I don't really understand where they came from. I see little need to follow people or businesses. However, I think it may be a good and free way to advertise a business.

6. L_B

L_B Well-Known Member

I have had a Twitter account for some time but I have not been on it in quite awhile. It just never really was a thing for me. I couldn't seem to get interested in it.

7. petesede

petesede Guest

Twitter never had a viable business model. The reason people and analysts focus on MAU is because it is the ONLY thing you can measure about Twitter that has any significance. The entire hope of the IPO/business of Twitter is that some day they will be able to figure out how to convert users into $$... so if you are losing users before you have begun to figure out how to make money, obviously you are in trouble.

As someone who was using twitter before it became mainstream, I always said the same thing.. how are they going to make money from this? And I also knew there was going to be huge problems with their noise to news ratio. It is just way to easy to automate spam for it to be useful as anything other than a ´gotcha´ for famous people to say something stupid. In the early days, it was possible for stuff like the Arab Spring to be followed, but the spammers have moved in, and anything that becomes a hot topic quickly gets flooded with unrelated spam. It is a huge waste of time to use twitter hoping to see something dramatic happen, you are just better off glancing at a news website and allow them to waste their time curating all the spam.

Google, with their huge advertising network (Adwords) is the only company that could even come close to making a really profitable business out of Twitter, the same way they did with Youtube. Twitter along just does not have enough muscle to get companies to fork over the big bucks for advertising, nor does it have the infrastructure to handle micro-ads like Adwords does.

8. nissi

nissi Well-Known Member

Twitter is pretty boring. I never got very into it. I think people like Instagram and Facebook a lot better. There's much more content.

9. baudwalk

baudwalk Senior Investor

Twitter has the singular advantage of breaking news on many fronts -- politics, events, sports, science, business et al -- that Facebook and the like do not have. Mark Cuban will tell you Twitter is his first stop to research breaking business news. Breaking news isn't found in Bing/Google/Yahoo. I've been a news junkie since getting my fist shortwave radio in 1952. Twitter is just my current vehicle of choice. I certainly do not follow what people have for breakfast or other silly stuff. I could care less about hearts versus favorites.

There are some fun things too. Earlier this year Twitter led me to a Scot @EntrepreneurAOJ touring Vietnam on a motorbike; for three months I followed his live Periscope broadcasts from the Highlands and coastal areas. His visit to a 5th century temple site was fascinating. He is now beginning a 50-country sponsored tour that includes working with charities, working the homeless and poor, that seek help to have a better media presence. I follow the news of deep space NASA probes and alerts of Northern Light displays possibly visible in my area of the world. I follow the messages from Wildearth live safaris, streaming on the 'net, from Kruger National Park. I follow F1 racing and certain sports teams accounts. Etcetera and so forth.

So you pay your monies and take your choice. I recognize Twitter isn't for everybody but if you are on this board to make money from your investments why not experiment and follow the Twitter accounts from your favorite business sources? Do you watch CNN or Fox News? Follow those as an experiment.

I believe Twitter is a totally unique service that has embedded itself in the social media world. The instantaneous characterics and wide reach are unique. Certainly the IS/ISIS/ISIL peeps recognized the broad reach of the service, and it took Twitter a while to put some brakes on the recruiting..

As an investor, I agree with petesede and JR that the monetization issues must be resolved for the company to be profitable. The company is making some moves now that the leadership issues have been settled. We'll see what happens. It wouldn't surprise me if Alphabet/Google eventually buys Twitter to fortify its search capabilities.

10. JR Ewing

JR Ewing Super Moderator Staff Member

Twitter is definitely a highly speculative trade, and one that pretty much screams for a put option to protect the downside risk.