Twitter stocks

Discussion in 'Stock Market Forum' started by 2times, May 30, 2014.

1. mark973

mark973 Well-Known Member

Twitter doesn't really seem to be the way of the future. It's way to risky for me to invest in something like Twitter. I'd say not to do it but it's obviously up to you.

2. JR Ewing

JR Ewing Super Moderator Staff Member

It's just a small speculative bite for me. Not a significant part of my portfolio at all. I also have a put option on it.

3. sully3333

sully3333 Member

I can't convince myself to buy into any social media stock. They come and go way too quickly for my liking.

4. ap4aaron

ap4aaron Member

At this point, Twitter is not a safe stock. Since the company has peaked, it is very volatile. If you are looking for a long term investment, it might work.

5. JR Ewing

Some bigshot fund managers see a bright future for twitter. Time will tell.

I've found that the best way to play IPOs is to wait until after the lockup period expires and the insiders sell whatever they plan to sell. You also get the benefit of a couple of quarters of earnings / forecasts.

6. Profit5500

Profit5500 Senior Investor

What sites are good for buying stock shares for these companies? I have not bought any stock in my life, which I would love to do that. I am not sure if Twitter stocks would go up or down, which I cannot determine that since I did not do any research. I hope for those people who did buy the stocks that your dividends are in good hands.

7. firelily99

firelily99 Well-Known Member

I can't understand why anyone would want to buy a stock in a company that doesn't make money. What is the point to that anyway? I won't go near social media either and like SilvioMaF it was myspace that got my attention. No one mentions them any more.

8. JR Ewing

Such speculation is best left to more advanced investors, and usually only with relatively small amounts of one's capital.

I don't put much in them, but as an advanced investor I do dabble in some of them - because some of them do go up (and sometimes down) dramatically. Twitter, Amazon, Netflix, etc all are strong top line growers with little or no bottom line. They are highly volatile, and therefore significant money is likely to be made on both the up (long stock position or call option) AND downside (put option or perahps a short stock position if you're really a gunslinger).

9. Profit5500

Profit5500 Senior Investor

Who knows some of those corporation stocks that are not making money are like leftovers. So maybe some investors believe that they can still get something out of the stocks. I do not know I am uncertain if that is true or not, but Twitter stocks seem quite nice.

10. Jeff455

Jeff455 Member

I would be careful if I were you and you really were considering buying stock in Twitter. When Twitter first came around, the company had high expectations and was expected to follow Facebook's growth in the wave of social media. However, the equity markets have changed this idea and subsequently have resulted in a drop of shares for the company. Unless the company were to transpire something amazing for the social media tides, I would strongly advise you not to look into buying Twitter stock. They have already reached their peak and it's unlikely that you could gain much out of them in the time to come.