Twitter stocks

Discussion in 'Stock Market Forum' started by 2times, May 30, 2014.

1. lovemwaf

lovemwaf Member

I think that Twitter is definitely a great stop to invest in short-term. I think that it's business model is not so well-established and so in the long term for me doesn't really make sense. A lot of people are referring to MySpace and that is something I would look into. A lot of social networks are here today and gone tomorrow. So if you invest in this social network don't expect it to be long-term. But for now that it is definitely stable and is still growing so it is a good stock to invest in at the moment.

2. JR Ewing

JR Ewing Super Moderator Staff Member

It's a volatile, speculative play with a few bucks that can be a good way for the advanced investor to generate a little alpha. Not something I'd advise a novice looking for stable longterm growth.

3. JR Ewing

4. troutski

troutski Guest

Well, I missed out on that little opportunity. I'm not big on Facebook and Twitter stocks, but you can always get some quick gains if a social media company posts better than expected earnings, or in some cases any earnings at all.

5. Colebra

Colebra Well-Known Member

It's just damm funny to read this thread, and see JR's posts about his winnings here in there :p

My investing IQ is very low, but I wouldn't compare Twitter to Myspace though...
    Whenever a category is created, the ones who go first usually get stomped right?
    There were several social media networks before Myspace we can't even rememeber... But that's common for the frenzy of a new category being created.
    At this point, the playing field has matured a lot.
    I also think the Mobile aspect of Twitter is kind of what makes it different.

Anyway, like JR proved, it's not only what you invest on, but how you invest that counts, right?

6. Profit5500

Profit5500 Senior Investor

7. idigress1337

idigress1337 Member

My friend had actually purchased stocks from Twitter before. He spent a few couple of thousand dollars. I am not quite sure how it turned out (I'd have to ask him) but he was just doing it for speculative purposes, hoping to make a short term gain. He said his "theories" predicted that it should snowball and earn him lots of money, but ... I'm not so sure about his qualifications :).

He did however influence me to think about investing in Twitter, perhaps another day.

8. lei

lei Member

I agree.

I wouldn't invest in twitter. It's pretty much a short term fad. But if you feel like they'll come up with something new and interesting that will appeal to the public then you should invest.

9. JR Ewing

It's almost at $50. I've gotten a good 60% in 3 months on the little bit I bought after the lockup period ended.

10. gekko41

gekko41 Active Member

In my opinion, twitter is not a fad and it is here to stay. I am long on all social media, especially Twitter and Facebook.