Two months to go

Discussion in 'General Trading Discussion' started by crimsonghost747, Nov 1, 2015.

1. crimsonghost747

crimsonghost747 Senior Investor

So exactly two months left in 2015, two months to meet your financial goals for the year. I would assume quite a few people on a financial forum set some financial goals for themselves, so how is it going with those? Is it looking like you will meet them?

Personally I'm just on the verge of surpassing last years dividend income, that will happen in a couple of weeks when the next dividends come. Still quite far from my dividend income goal though... it's going to be a close one. Also getting pretty damn close to my goal for total portfolio value for 2015. I'm not too happy with 2015 but it looks like I'll be reaching most of my goals for the year.

2. JR Ewing

JR Ewing Super Moderator Staff Member

Up slightly this year overall. Nothing worth bragging about.

3. WaveWage

WaveWage Well-Known Member

On economy, I would say you rather care on year-on-year profits, or on monthly profits to see if you performed better at this or this time rather than a yearly report at a fixed date, but if you just want to see where you come from, yes, you would look at how you performed at December.

After all, it's not a game based much on the time, it is more based about at which time you will sell that share to buy that another tat feels more profitable, or where you start to invest your dividends in some other company to have something diversified. It is important to budget, but I'm not sure the year lookback is interesting.

4. Susimi

Susimi Senior Investor

I'm doing slightly better than I expected but not much mind.

I just need to keep going the way I am and by the end of the year I should be in a somewhat comfortable position.

5. pwarbi

pwarbi Senior Investor

I'm also doing better than I expected this year, although I tend to be on the conservative side when I'm forecasting what I'm going to be ending up with.

Pleasantly surprised I think is the term I'd use, nothing spectacular but I wasn't expecting it either.

6. crimsonghost747

crimsonghost747 Senior Investor

I'm the same as you. I prefer to be really conservative so that I'm likely to get what I'm expecting, or hopefully more. It helps with financial planning as you don't run into the situation where you realise that you don't have nearly as much as you thought you would.

7. WaveWage

WaveWage Well-Known Member

Well, if you're unable to achieve objectives, somehow, there's another problem then. You should be able to achieve well defined objectives, because otherwise it means the objective is wrong, or the strategy you done is wrong. But if you expected to get for example +$50 this year, you have right now $75 and you keep them in the hope to get better at the end of the year, and at that end of the year, you get only $35, you managed something really badly.

And anyway, in life, you would have to meet with objectives and expectations you can't control. What you can do is reject objectives that are unreachable, and that's all.