U.S. should join rest of industrialized countries and offer paid maternity leave: Obama

Discussion in 'Politics Discussion' started by ash2014uk, Jun 25, 2014.

1. Kate

Kate Senior Investor

Just out of curiosity, did you do a cost of living comparison before making this wage statement? I like numbers crunching (sometimes!) but I just did a quick comparison between two places (United States and United Kingdom) and although I don't have time today to check into it further, it looks very much as if UK's minimum wage is less than one US dollar more than US minimum... BUT UK's cost of living is 30%-34% higher in most consumer areas. (Only 17% higher for groceries, but that's not a small amount!)

Now I don't know about anyone else, but I'm pretty sure I'd rather make 97 cents an hour less than have to pay considerably more for everything I buy.

I'm not sure what other powerful countries you were talking about, but if you give me some with cost of living data also, we all may be surprised at the results and I'd be glad to share my findings.

2. May102014

May102014 Well-Known Member

Give free money to the middle class or worse the poor? Are you out of your mind?! They don't represent America and are not deserving of any handouts! If women are strong enough to have a baby, then they are strong enough to return to work the next day! Hahahaha. I'm kidding but this will be the rhetoric use to fight against President Obama. Republicans won't be so blatant in saying the comments made by myself. They will use key phrases to tap into the fear of their base of "strange people" getting free government money. It doesn't matter what President Obama proposes. They are unwilling to work with him on anything. There's a reason why this group is call the "Do Nothing" Congress.

3. Kate

Kate Senior Investor

This America and/or Republican bashing is getting tiring. Please know the facts before posting. This is NOTTTTT a President Obama thing OR a Republican issue. The dems have a proposal that offers 12 weeks paid leave that THE PRESIDENT has not endorsed or come on board with.

Why? Because (I don't agree with most of what this administration does, but this seems like a good choice) he made a campaign promise not to raise taxes on families making less than $250k a year. I'm assuming since he's not going along with the Democratic idea, that he's trying to keep that promise. Commendable.

So... anyone have ideas on who's going to PAY for all that maternity leave? Could it possibly be the taxpayers who are going to be the first to squawk that their taxes increased after being promised they won't? You really think that our insurances after having gone up drastically with ACA aren't going to go up MORE to pay all this maternity leave?

Maybe a money tree in the White House's backyard would solve the problem, but I didn't see one last time I was in the area. All these idealistic ideas for "how to fix America" are a nice gesture, but no one seems to remember these "fixes" are going to come out of their pocket! :mad:

4. dianethare

dianethare Senior Investor

Six weeks maternity leave, am finding that quite little time, although for starters its workable, i had no idea that US wasn't on the paid maternity leave list, hence it ought to be implemented, i wonder how young mothers before this was brought to light were dealing with the issue, it must have been hectic.

5. alexisfinch24

alexisfinch24 Well-Known Member

That would probably be a great way to boost female workers spirits about their jobs. But, I am not sure big businesses will like being told to do something like that. It will more than likely start a big fued on Capital Hill.

6. Sam Tarly

Sam Tarly Member

I think the current lack of regulation on maternity leave in this country makes absolutely no sense, the US is the only developed country that provides little to no paid maternity leave, and that is reflective of our capitalistic, corporation loving mind set. The lack of maternity leave helps no one but perhaps the company who employees the mother, and that too only at a short term level. If you really think about it, the lack of paid maternity leave is unhealthy for our society as a whole as it prevents parents from giving their child adequate care during its formative years.

7. JR Ewing

JR Ewing Super Moderator Staff Member

It doesn't prevent anyone from taking leave or from bonding and caring for their babies - it just means people should plan ahead accordingly. If you want paid maternity leave, make sure you're working for a company that offers it.

8. kelvarnsen

kelvarnsen New Member

JR, people like you think everyone just can just strap on their job helmet and squeeze down into a job cannon and fire off into job land, where jobs grow little jobbies.

The fact is, more and more people in this country are under-employed, toiling in industries where there such protections aren't offered. It's not so easy for most people to just change jobs, especially as the economy still recovers. That leaves millions of mothers who have to choose between taking time off to take care of and bond with their child and working to feed that child.

9. Kate

Kate Senior Investor

Uh... isn't that the way it's been all throughout history? This may be a question you should pose to your congressman or woman... maybe get an answer as to why the president rejected a 12-week maternity leave plan that the *Democrats* put before him. Bet you didn't hear that on the news, huh? No, because it wasn't widely reported but is in the public record now.

But anyhow, do you have any thoughts on how all that leave may be paid for in a bad economy? And do you think those same people would be the first ones complaining when their benefits are cut in order to pay for such a program?

Things like this always have to be thought out before a stance is taken.

10. Livvy

Livvy Well-Known Member

Someone's been watching Always Sunny in Philadelphia recently I see.