UBER Growth

Discussion in 'Stock Market Forum' started by Allison2021, Dec 4, 2014.

1. Newman

Newman New Member

As far as Uber goes, I think it is just a temporary phase of growth. The market in rental cabs hotting up and soon there would be stiff competition. You will have many more options to choose from. But for the time being nothing it is a good choice and you can go ahead and invest.

2. Sunflogun

Sunflogun Well-Known Member

I really don't know if the rental cabs can really face Uber simply because Uber has lower operation costs. For me, what is making competition to Uber right now are the laws preventing them from operating in certain areas, what seems totally unfair to me.

3. AtlantaSports

AtlantaSports Senior Investor

I would not invest in Uber long term because there is a lot of shadiness going on behind the scenes. I think that it is a good idea overall, but the amount of money that gets dished out is a little bit ridiculous.

4. AtlantaSports

AtlantaSports Senior Investor

I completely agree with this.

5. yuki808

yuki808 Member

Uber has Taken Off

Yes Uber is certainly getting some publicity from the media these days aren't they. It seems like every where you look there is an advertisement, an article that mentions uber, or even a post. For example; that a look at buzzfeed.com. "BuzzFeed is an American Internet news media company. Founded in 2006 in New York City as a viral lab by Jonah Peretti." - Wikipedia[SUP]Buzzfeed is extremely popular to the younger viewers an audience. One platform that they use mostly is YouTube. On YouTube they have several different channels that cater to a certain genera such as comedy, skits, news, pop culture etc. One of their more popular subject has been Uber. They have a video called "what it's like to be an Uber driver." They even made a parody called "If Celebrities were your Uber driver." In that skit they poked some fun at celebrities. Jimmy Kimmel also made a video about Uber. I think a great way into getting involved with american pop culture is through comedy. People see the skit, hear Uber, research it, then use it. I think that is why they have grown so quickly.

In Hawaii (where I live) a lot of people use Uber to get home from the bar after drinking. They were hiring here as well at a starting rate of $26.00 per hour. That's more than what school teachers get here. In Hawaii there is also Uber merchandise such as sunglasses, mugs, stickers, flags, candies, and do a lot of work with local businesses. Yes Uber has certainty taken off. [/SUP]

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 8, 2016
  6. petesede

petesede Guest

Never underestimate the value of being first.. especially on tech driven stuff. I could make Twitter, Facebook, Ebay and Craigslist right now with my programming skills. Uber is probably going to become the ´google´ of this type of service.. people will be referring to them as a verb...

7. petesede

petesede Guest

Really, this reminds me a lot of Craigslist early on.. there were a bunch of high profile cases where someone would rent out an empty apartment just to lure women into viewing it, then rape or rob them.

8. Trendtrader

Trendtrader Member

Sorry to break it to you folks, but Uber is not yet publicly traded. Unless you have a few million to invest, no one is buying any portion of UBER until the day it goes public--- if it goes public.

9. Onionman

Onionman Senior Investor

Yep, I was about to say the same - UBER's not yet listed. That said, there's still talk of an IPO at some point. I reckon that's going to have to be sooner rather than later because it really needs to ride the near-term momentum in the story before legislation and competition totally change the growth outlook.

10. Hedonologist

Hedonologist Well-Known Member

UBER is starting to get a lot more attention now, especially on the London radio stations. I think it will be over a decade before UBER has anywhere near the level of business that regular taxis do. Some areas are even seeing their share of rides being taken with UBER falling.