Uber

Discussion in 'The Cocktail Lounge' started by ScooterBrandon, Jul 25, 2015.

1. baudwalk

baudwalk Senior Investor

Just watching the BBC Business News a few minutes ago, discussing a tech bubble and a tech startup conference now underway in Hong Kong. Let's blow a few minds. Uber's value is a mere $41Billion, and Delta Airlines is only $35 Billion. Good grief!

2. crimsonghost747

crimsonghost747 Senior Investor

They used to have the criteria listed on their website... I think you can still find it from there. I thought about it but the thing is that my car didn't match the specifications required and I wasn't ready to even consider buying a new car for this purpose.

3. ingeniosi

ingeniosi New Member

I've never used Uber, but I can see both sides of the coin - on one hand, I think it's great that there is another means of transportation other than taxis and public transit. However, I can understand the frustration of the Taxi companies because they lose their monopoly, and might be unhappy that they have different certification requirements. I don't know all of the details about that but the tension between them these days speaks for itself.

I'm curious to see what will happen with Uber in the next several years - how their business structure will change and if they will be required to provide more benefits for their drivers - It's hard to say but I think this fight will continue for a while.

4. Profit5500

Profit5500 Senior Investor

With all of the independent drivers who are contractors for Uber I can see why cabbies are going insane. It is major competition for them and they cannot get sales for themselves. I never used Uber I had heard of some horror stories about the company back then of women getting victimized by the drivers. I do not know if that is still happening or not.

5. Zander Collision

Zander Collision Member

There have been many cases in my country where Uber drivers went nuts. Few of them raped and killed customers in their cab. One driver started masturbating while dropping a female customer.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2015
  6. rightct

rightct Well-Known Member

I utterly agree with cab drivers, as much as I'd hate to see Uber disappear, haha. It creates unloyal competition, so I'm by the side of cabbies. Though I'm also using Uber's services, so... yeah. I'm really at crossroads now.

7. norms options

norms options Well-Known Member

I have been so curious about driving for uber myself. How easy is it to get started and how much work is available. Are there any regulations concerning your vehicle or anything like that?? I'm just wondering if I could do this part time on my days off from my full time job?? It sounds like a win-win for the driver and the rider as both seem to benefit over taking a taxi, and it is always nice when both parties benefit in a transaction.

8. kda3614

kda3614 New Member

Personally, I like the fact that Uber exists. It creates healthy competition for everyone, which is great for an industry like the taxi business that many consider rude and maybe even dangerous.

9. Corzhens

Corzhens Senior Investor

Your friends tell you but they cannot show anything. That is clearly a smear drive against Uber. I am not defending Uber but over here, smear campaign against a product or company is normal. And they usually employ dirty tactics like rumors that are intriguing or scandals maybe. Some years ago, when Robinsons mall opened in Mandaluyong, there was this rumor that a snake man, supposedly the son of the mall's owner, was victimizing women in the fitting room. The rumor spread and the suspect was the nearby mall. With Uber, it is a clear competition to the legal taxicabs so your guess is as good as mine.

10. gracer

gracer Senior Investor

I haven't tried their services yet, but basing from the information I see and read on the news, I think Uber is a good thing especially for customers who find it hard to get a cab. I live in a place where there are certain hours when it's hard to get a ride going to town so having the services of Uber could be of great comfort for places such as mine.