Ultimatums . . .

Discussion in 'Landlord & Rental Property Questions' started by Rainman, Dec 29, 2014.

1. shilpa123

shilpa123 Banned

I think it can be really great If the landlord takes the necessary action and make the tenants understand their mistake. If ignored for a long time, then it can become a huge problem in the later years. I believe

2. troutski

troutski Guest

The thing with noise complaints is that landlords often can't do anything based upon a single complaint from another tenant. It then becomes a "he said, she said" kind of thing, where neither side can prove anything. However, if a tenant comes to you with a police report of a noise complaint or something similar, then the landlord is obligated to do something about the situation. It takes a lot of evidence to evict someone for being too noisy, but repeated warnings and multiple police reports or citations for excessive noise can work in a landlord and tenant's favor.

3. My401K

My401K Well-Known Member

I am not so certain if you can just evict a person for noise without there being proof, like police reports. Eviction is not an easy process and it is seldom cheap. You don't get to just tell someone to get out, especially if there is a lease and you can't prove they broke it. It can get expensive and end up being a giant time suck to you.
    Some people are just weird about noise and might be better off living in a single family home or townhouse. Last Friday I had a resident come and tell me she had to have a talk with her upstairs neighbor because when he drops the soap in the shower and it is to loud. It sounds like it is right in her bathroom. Seriously! Now how do you think that talk will go? This womans other complaint is the guys lounge chair makes noise. This is why you let the tenants sort it out. Sometimes people are just nuts.

4. Determined2014

Determined2014 Guest

This is a really tricky and catchy situation, because you ccn end up loosing as the landlord I would suggest that a meeting be held amongst the tenants, and come to a mutual agreement, if they can not, then the one who is uncomfortable with the loud music, can then call the cops, or the landlord shold lay out rules that should be followed.

5. Investor

Investor Well-Known Member

My dear friend @Rainman, If all that you are worrying about is the possibility of losing money from the tenants that pay you rent, you indeed have something to worry about. There are a few things in life called; laws and ethics. The law will say to a person,"you cannot do this[in this case, play "loud" music beyond a certain time, or, you can only play music in a manner that doesn't cause a nuisance to others. Ethics will tell you that you are to have respect for others, and I believe, ethics fills in where the law doesn't shed any light. So, with all that said, I believe that the tenants that play loud music, may be out of sheer liking or to spite others, are being very unfair.
    Also, the reason why your tenant has come to you about the matter is because the tenant doens't know his/her own legal right. I believe that loud playing of music all the time is tantamount to a nuisance and I think any Court can impose a Court order that instructs those other tenants to cease and desist from playing loud music to the annoyance of others.
    In the interim, beseech your tenants to be respectful. nothing beats respect. And If I was in your situation, I would end the rental agreement with anyone who doesn't want to be respectful. You have to stand up for something.
    I mean, whether you are landlord or tenant, who wants to be bothered by blaring music all the time?

6. Fredrick Jones

Fredrick Jones Well-Known Member

Does the rental contract state anything about how the tenant should behave ? If the contract stated that loud music should not be played is this legally enforceable ?

In some areas there are leasing agreements that people of a certain age are not allowed to live in a gated community. This was challenged legally and the agreement stood.

As others have said, turn the situation over to the police. But in future maybe state in the agreement tenants have to follow certain guideline. Check with a lawyer if it is enforcable.