Uninvited guest

Discussion in 'Landlord & Rental Property Questions' started by cmiller, Jun 24, 2014.

1. cmiller

cmiller Active Member

If a person moves into your place and brings bugs and causes an infestation what would you do? Has this ever happened to you and if so what did you do about the situation?

2. limitless1585

limitless1585 Member

This has never happened to me, but if it does I would kick him out. I will pay for disinfestation and I would put a better lock. I would also put a fence, to protect my property.

3. dianethare

dianethare Senior Investor

I believe that's why the one month's deposit comes to life, this is the rule, a tenant destroys, brings bugs or any other paraphernalia that puts the house in pretty bad shape, then he/she will not be accorded the deposit, it stands in place of the damages....something am learning a long the way.

4. richc3

richc3 Senior Investor

Good question and probably is something that should be readily addressed in the lease. Naturally, like others have mentioned, I would simply use the deposit towards having professionals clean out the suite. Ideally, I'd remove the tenants in the process, but it depends on the rules in place for tenants within the jurisdiction you reside in.

Like I mentioned in another thread though, that lease needs to be near bullet proof in case of rare incidences like this.

5. Peninha

Peninha Senior Investor

What, someone moving in my place with bugs? :D Are you serious? I suppose that could happen, we never know the hygiene someone might have, but if it does happen you have the deposit to face the expenses, that's exactly what the deposit is for.

6. Determined2014

Determined2014 Guest

It has never happened to me, but first, I would give them a verbal and writen warning, if they do not comply, then I will have to give them an eviction notice of 30 days.

7. Strykstar

Strykstar Well-Known Member

I wouldn't have anyone move in without at least a month's worth of rent as a deposit so I would give them the bill for the disinfestation, if they refused to pay, I'd kick them out and pay for it out of the deposit, which they wouldn't get back anyway.
    I'm not sure whether you can have an insurance that covers this type of issue, but always get a deposit from your tenants.

8. Peninha

Peninha Senior Investor

I think we should choose carefully our tenants and if they look like they are bringing in that sort of guest I think it's wise to wait for a better tenant than that one, we want a business, not trouble.

9. Rainman

Rainman Senior Investor

Maybe the tenant didn't know there were eggs of bugs in his stuff and they hatch after he's settled in. There could be many explanations. So before making the conclusion that this 'hostile' action [of bringing in bugs was deliberate] you'll need to find out the facts first and ask the tenant to destroy the bugs. If s/he fails to then eviction and using the deposit to get rid of the bugs would be OK.

10. cmiller

cmiller Active Member

This has never happened to me either but I was curios as to what to do if it were to happen. Thanks for all of your responses I really appreciate it.