US unemployment rate at six -year low

Discussion in 'General Trading Discussion' started by Investor, Oct 8, 2014.

1. Investor

Investor Well-Known Member

The US unemployment rate fell to 5.9% in September, a six-year low, official figures show, the rate fell from 6.1% in August and is the lowest recorded rate since July 2008. The US Labor Department said that employers added 248,000 jobs last month, The jobs figures are seen as a significant gauge of the health of the economy. The largest rise in employment was in professional and business services, including management and legal services, which saw an increase of 81,000 jobs in September. I sure hope that this good trend continues, and that the rate of employment continues to do well.;)

2. Profit5500

Profit5500 Senior Investor

Its like from 2008 all the way to right now seems like the rate is still an all time low. I mean its not surprising that the legal services and businesses would increase employment. I have went over to "Bevmo" and "Costco" and found out that they were looking for seasonal help so I would try to apply tomorrow online. I just think things would steadily get back on its feet.

3. Peninha

Peninha Senior Investor

It's great to see unemployment rates coming down, but we all know that many times these rates are artificially lowered, so it's not for real.

4. Determined2014

Determined2014 Guest

That is good to hear, it is a good thing that the unemployment rate continues to fall, the more it falls the better the economy gets.

5. caparica007

caparica007 Well-Known Member

So true, it's about time that the crisis go away, we need people working to make the economy prosper and not the opposite.

6. moneyman

moneyman Well-Known Member

Awesome rates. This going to rise the annual growth and therefore the whole economy will be in rise.

7. GoldenPhi

GoldenPhi Member

The seasonally-adjusted SGS Alternate Unemployment Rate reflects current unemployment reporting methodology adjusted for SGS-estimated long-term discouraged workers, who were defined out of official existence in 1994. That estimate is added to the BLS estimate of U-6 unemployment, which includes short-term discouraged workers.

The U-3 unemployment rate is the monthly headline number. The U-6 unemployment rate is the Bureau of Labor Statistics’ (BLS) broadest unemployment measure, including short-term discouraged and other marginally-attached workers as well as those forced to work part-time because they cannot find full-time employment.

[​IMG]

8. Peninha

Peninha Senior Investor

What do those "shadow stats" mean? They are way higher than all the others.

9. Strykstar

Strykstar Well-Known Member

Wow that graphic really how terrible 2001 and 2009 really were, thank God we're seeing a recovery now, even if it's still small...

10. caparica007

caparica007 Well-Known Member

Yeah, in 2009 was close to 20% unemployment, glad to see that the number are significantly lower.