US voters would bomb Agrabah

Discussion in 'Politics Discussion' started by Alex, Dec 20, 2015.

1. Alex

Alex Senior Investor

This was quite a clever poll question, and it does reveal that many Americans really don't have a clue what they are voting for. They asked “Would you support or oppose bombing Agrabah?” (Agrabah is a fictional land in Disney's Aladdin.) The result was 30% of Republican voted to bomb, and 19% of Democrats did as well.

http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...ters-bomb-agrabah-disney-aladdin-donald-trump

What it does indicate is that people are happy to bomb Muslim sounding places, and the electorate aren't well informed. Of the people who opposed it (13% Republican, and 36% Democrat) who knows whether they knew it was fictional or whether they were just opposed to bombing?

2. crimsonghost747

crimsonghost747 Senior Investor

It's 'Murica. If you ask them if they should bomb the garden of Eden you would find that about 20% would say yes just because they like to bomb stuff.

3. Susimi

Susimi Senior Investor

Many thanks for the hearty chuckle I received over this :D It reminds me of that South Park episode where they were talking about bombing heaven because they could "see" Saddam Hussain was producing WMD's among the clouds.

To give the benefit of the doubt, maybe the people who voted to bomb knew this was a joke poll and voted just for the hell of it. If not then that is kind of worrying and sort of reinforces that stereotype some people have of a war warmongering red neck.

4. Thejamal

Thejamal Guest

Yeah, laughed at this as well. Just a great example of how uninformed and clueless Americans are about what's going on in the world.

I agree with Susimi that some probably took it as a joke, but I doubt it's a significant portion of the voters who chose yes.

5. petesede

petesede Guest

Reminds me of the old Groucho Marx skit about Freedonia.

It really is one of the problems with the two-party system in the USA. I am a Christian, but my party is also the party that wants to bomb anyone, anywhere just ´cuz´. It would be interesting to see a follow-up poll where they used a country name that did not sound muslim.... my hunch is that even without a muslim name, they would still break 20%.

It is the problem with America where now you have a vocal minority who think it is more important to be tough than be intelligent or wise. it is better to react with your gut and convictions, rather than with facts. Where bombing other people and going to war is patriotic, and seeking peace is a sign of weakness. The large military companies have won the PR war... they have convinced you that dropping a $5 million dollar tomahawk missile on a 1972 pick-up truck is ´patriotic´and strong.

Did anyone see the story about the pickup truck from Texas that made it to ISIS. Basically a plumber ( I think) had a used pickup truck with his company name and phone number on it.. he sold it.. and somehow it ended up in northern Iraq. Pretty funny.. his fellow texans were giving him death threats for being unpatriotic.

6. crimsonghost747

crimsonghost747 Senior Investor

Yeah I've always been perplexed by the 2 party system. It simply is not possible to find one that accurately represents your values if you have so few to choose from, you might like them for their economic policies but be completely against them when it comes to healthcare. Here we have 19 parties, though only 8 of them are really ones worth considering as the rest are super tiny ones that never manage to get even 1 seat in the parliament. But still, 8 parties and I still have a hard time finding one that represents what I want to vote for.

7. Alex

Alex Senior Investor

I saw that and the dealership is to blame, having sold on the vehicle. Maybe the authorities can track down who the buyers were and aid them in the search for IS members? If vehicles are making their way over there, then surely dealers can play a part in uncovering who are IS supporters?

http://edition.cnn.com/2015/12/14/us/terror-truck-lawsuit/

As for people knowing it was a joke question, I doubt it as it was one of a number of questions people were polled on including immigration issues. Many people don't really know the names of cities int he Middle East (I don't know that many) and I guess it was to test a reaction.

8. TheApollonian

TheApollonian Well-Known Member

I read this one on CNN and Buzzfeed and though it was hilarious, too bad it means that Americans are probably islamophobic though or else just likes to bomb stuff both of which is still very bad to hear.

9. petesede

petesede Guest

The Tea Party started out as the economic small gov´t group that I originally supported, but then it got hijacked by Palin and became just another pro-life, bomb everyone hate group.

The Republican party really needs to split and separate the war-mongers from the financial conservatives. The idea that you can spend many trillion dollars on a useless war, and then complain about liberals spending 1/1000 of that for healthcare for the poor is silly. Adding in gun-rights, abortion and evangelicals just makes it a very splintered and unappealing to moderates. If you don´t think bombing everyone, cutting off every social service, owning bazookas, being pro-life is correct, then you are a RINO... They take such extreme views on every one of their stances, it makes it hard for anyone to be a Republican and disagree with anything they said. McCain was a RINO because of campaign reform, Romney was a RINO because of healthcare, Rubio is a RINO because of immigration. So now the only true Republicans are the extreme right guys like Cruz and Trump, who will get crushed on the electoral map.

10. JR Ewing

JR Ewing Super Moderator Staff Member

If you ever watch shows like Watters' World, you'd see how frighteningly stupid and uninformed so many people are - even many people at some of the country's best universities.

[video=youtube;KJVZa9_Ha5c]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJVZa9_Ha5c[/video]

Many people who self-identify as "Democrat" or "Republican" or "libertarian" or whatever are completely clueless about what the parties stand for who they claim to identify with.