Utilizing the Ticker... Do You?

Discussion in 'Stock Market Forum' started by Kate, Jul 10, 2014.

1. Kate

Kate Senior Investor

I've often watched the ticker here with interest. Some of the gainers are rather impressive while the losers can be quite painful!

Do you ever take information from the ticker and act on it immediately? Or is it common knowledge that an investor should wait for a while and not make decisions on a large gain without watching for a while first?

What I've done is to look the stock up independently and then check out the ups and downs for a month, three months, a year, etc. It's often not as impressive that way. Is that a good way to choose what I want to buy? Or am I totally on the wrong track? This is so much scarier than the real estate investments I'm used to! :eek:

2. JR Ewing

JR Ewing Super Moderator Staff Member

I watch it on CNBC, but I rarely act on it unless something VERY unusual happens suddenly. Then it's usually a quick in and out, and with only a few bucks.

3. troutski

troutski Guest

I don't utilize tickers very often. They're fun to watch when big dips or gains happen, but I'm not diligent enough to act on them immediately. I'm sure other people do and make some decent money, but you've got to be pretty dedicated to really win out there.

4. Strykstar

Strykstar Well-Known Member

I rarely use tickers either, I never know how long ago it was updated, sometimes a matter of minutes can make a big difference.

5. May102014

May102014 Well-Known Member

Oh my goodness it is tempting but I don't act on impulse when it comes to the ticker. A lot of times I am making a prediction for a certain outcome and to see if I am correct. I am great at research and I always use previous data as my source to make a decision on a stock and their possibility for having some gains for the day. This business fluctuates. It's not stable but it comes with the territory and I understand that. It's scarier than real estate investments but boy or boy when you get the good gains on a good day, it is rewarding!

6. troutski

troutski Guest

All I do is act on impulse sometimes, except when it comes to the ticker.

7. downsouth

downsouth Guest

Who knows how accurate it is? I use it as a guideline but not to make any important buying or selling.