Walking While Texting To Be Banned In New Jersey

Discussion in 'Politics Discussion' started by Rainman, Mar 28, 2016.

1. Rainman

Rainman Senior Investor

Pedestrian deaths and other injuries have been on the rise for a while now because people walk around operating their electronic devices. Distracted thusly it's relatively easy for them to injure themselves: they could strike stationary objects or loose their footing and fall sustaining dislocations or fractures, sprains or strains and concussions or contusions.

And New Jersey wants to bring to an end "distracted walking" [as they call it]. A proposal by an Assemblywoman will ban walking while texting.
    http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...istracted-new-jersey-jail-fine-pamela-lampitt

Violators will face fines of up to $50, 15 days imprisonment or both.

2. baudwalk

baudwalk Senior Investor

Ridiculous. Law enforcement can't enforce the existing cellphone laws addressing those drivers who do not use hands-free devices. This bill surfaced about two weeks ago, and was hooted down on Twitter. Bottom line? What about personal responsibility?

3. remnant

remnant Well-Known Member

This problem is replicated elsewhere throughout the world. Drunk driving has resulted in many fatalities throughout the world. Deterrent sentences have yielded little. The courts in most countries have set a precedent. I am a typical offender for your information. I can walk for many miles without flinching. I thought that offenders are motorists but I digress. The best strategy is well, no strategy. But at the risk of being poetic, follow the above rule. At the end of the day, stiff penalties don't work. Come to think of it. Causes have effects. I am not about to give up on texting while walking. The best intervention st

4. Alex

Alex Senior Investor

This is just called common sense, and while I an see why it is an issue, people who do fall or get run over have no one to blame but themselves. I say let them end up in hospital and they will learn the cost of being so stupid.

Basically if accidents were caused by texting and not paying attention, then insurance companies should not pay their medical bills, and if they cause injury to others they should be sued.

5. baudwalk

baudwalk Senior Investor

Ridiculous. Law enforcement can't enforce the existing cellphone laws addressing those drivers who do not use hands-free devices. This bill surfaced a week ago, and was hooted down on Twitter. Bottom line? What about personal responsibility?

In fact, according to Assemblywomen Lampitt's web page -- http://www.njleg.state.nj.us/members/BIO.asp?Leg=251-- as of today the proposed bill is *not* on her list of sponsored bills. That suggests to me it has yet to be written up. In a story on she admits the bill may have a tough time passing.

A companion joint resolution to declare each September as "Distracted Walking Awareness Month" will most likely fail, as have similar efforts in other states. Rightly so.

There are so many more important matters to deal with in the state, including measures to address the brutal inheritance and estate taxes driving senior citizens out of the state. The state legislature wastes time on this walking nonsense? Good grief.

6. petesede

petesede Guest

I saw this video one time, it was like one of those ´worst mothers alive´.. things. A nice looking mother with a stroller, talking on the phone.. drives the stroller into a ditch and flips the baby out of the stroller onto the payment.. while the mother walks over to pick up the baby, she picks the baby up using one hand, while using the other hand to continue to hold the phone.

I do not think a preemptive law is the way to go, way too much of a nanny-state thing. But I do think insurance companies should be able to adjust deductables and premiums based on this type of stuff.

7. djordjem87

djordjem87 Well-Known Member

In a place where common sense is abstract thought this law is probably good. I guess they ran some cross-referencing of numbers and deaths of people who died by this cause and decided to draw the line. It is similar to some ridiculous laws in my country concerning crossing the street out of the zebra sign. You have to pay some crazy money or you are going to jail for some time. This is just to scare people because sometimes it is the only way. Most of us here cross on zebra sign to avoid paying the bill and not to avoid their deaths.

8. Corzhens

Corzhens Senior Investor

I certainly agree to that proposed law to ban the use of cellphone while on the street. I sometimes see pedestrians crossing the street with their eyes focused on the phones. Worse, there are drivers using their phones while driving. It is very evident when a vehicle in front would be running so slow. When I overtake, I would expect to see the driver with the phone on his ears of his eyes on his lap while texting. Truly, humans are now being enslaved by the technology that we created. Maybe its about time to put senses in our heads.

9. pwarbi

pwarbi Senior Investor

While I guess in principle I agree that people who cause injury to others through walking and texting should be punished, I'm not sure how easy exactly a law like that will be easy to enforce.

I'd also think that police and the courts have bigger fish to fry as it's not exactly crime of the century is it?!

10. crimsonghost747

crimsonghost747 Senior Investor

Laws should be there to protect us from being hurt by other people. Such is the case for example not being allowed to text while driving... one day you will drive over a pedestrian because you were too busy chatting up that girl on Tinder. Driver will be fine but the pedestrian will not be. But walking? How exactly are you supposed to kill/injure someone while walking? Ok I can see the once in a lifetime thing where you step infront of a bicycle because you were not paying attention... but that's the odd chance that we simply can't prevent. In order to stop that we should also outlaw talking, eating, reading, listening to music and daydreaming while walking.