Was The Queen a Nazi Sympathizer?

Discussion in 'Politics Discussion' started by Rainman, Jul 20, 2015.

1. Rainman

Rainman Senior Investor

That would be the questions readers who saw the photograph of Queen Elizabeth as a young girl giving the Nazi salute on the front page of a UK [tabloid] newspaper.

http://www.theguardian.com/media/gr...queens-nazi-salute-still-fascinates-the-media
    It has been explained away elsewhere that the Nazi salute was a mockery of sorts while others think the Queen was waving. Anyone going to defend the Queen here?

2. ScooterBrandon

ScooterBrandon Senior Investor

This is a non-issue.

This occurred BEFORE the atrocities of a Nazi party were well known. Plus we don't have a ready good idea of the context.
    I do like the idea of looking into it a little more, but it certainly doesn't warrant the sensationalism it's getting.
    Far more important events occurring right now, as well as far more interesting history being uncovered elsewhere.

3. Penny

Penny Well-Known Member

I agree, that is a nonsense story for people who do not know history. At that time the Nazi party was a democratically elected government and no crimes against humanity had occurred. The Queen was just following their custom to be polite. The record of the royal family during the war, whether you are a royalist or not, was one of fortitude and courage.

4. baudwalk

baudwalk Senior Investor

Much ado about nothing brought forward by persons with lots of time on their hands. Pfft.

5. rightct

rightct Well-Known Member

Haha, this nonsense has started spreading in my country, too. Just like everyone pointed out well, at the time the real face of the Nazi party was under the guise of "democracy principles", so no one actually knew. Just a curiosity for you though... Did you know that Svastika is actually a peaceful sign dating from the Etruscian ages (Romans' ancestors)?

6. baudwalk

baudwalk Senior Investor

Now that is interesting! I didn't know that, even though my family suffered under Hitler's regime.

7. Onionman

Onionman Senior Investor

This is the British press doing what it does best - stirring up trouble. The picture was taken a long time before Germany even invaded Poland and it has to be put into its proper context. It's not a topic that anyone is really taking too seriously, except for the conspiracy theorists who will find a narrative in everything.

8. Sunflogun

Sunflogun Well-Known Member

The word nonsense does cross my head because, for those who can remember, the queen fought against the nazis, so how can it possibly make sense that she was a nazi sympathizer?

9. pwarbi

pwarbi Senior Investor

As other have already said. This is a non story and simply the British gutter press, trying to sell newspapers on a non news day.

There's also pictures of other kings, queens, presidents, crowd at sporting arenas, also doing the Nazi salute, as this happened long before people knew just what Hitler was getting up to, and what he had in store.

10. missbishi

missbishi Well-Known Member

Poor Queenie. The fact is, nobody had an inkling about what the Nazi party would end up doing back then. I'm not really a fan of the Royal Family but I'm right behind the old dear on this one.