Ways To Make a House More "Salable?"

Discussion in 'Landlord & Rental Property Questions' started by Rainman, May 13, 2015.

1. Rainman

Rainman Senior Investor

A buyer looking for a house where they'll be spending their summer may be more interested in outdoor areas for example. When selling a house around that time, it's always advisable to highlight what might make the buyer believe that the house is the right "fit" for him/her at that time.

What are some great ways to get buyers to do more than just think about buying a house?

2. JR Ewing

JR Ewing Super Moderator Staff Member

Location, location, location. :D

3. crimsonghost747

crimsonghost747 Senior Investor

Location is always important. And a little repairs to the surfaces can do wonders. Once I rented out an apartment that looked absolutely horrible, the price was great and the location was exactly what I was looking for. But with a couple thousand euros put into redoing the floors and wallpapers etc the place would have looked so much nicer and the landlord could have easily gotten another 100e-200e per month in rent.

4. Sunflogun

Sunflogun Well-Known Member

Location is important, but working with the right people to sell it is important too. Many times we need to know how to make it look even better and more valuable, but definitely that location is what matters the most.

5. agentd

agentd Member

It all goes along with location but I would say that the crime rating of the area the home is in means a lot. Especially if the person or people buying have a family or are looking to start one. You can pull up crime ratings of an address online. Another big selling point are good, reputable schools in the area. If the schools surrounding the home are sub par, run down, or have a bad reputation that would deter me as a buyer big time.

6. Fredrick Jones

Fredrick Jones Well-Known Member

Landscaping and basic things like a good coat of paint more then recover their investment. This is assuming that you own the house. If the people are outdoor people, maybe things like lawn furniture and a BBQ might be a good investment. For the BBQ we are assuming that they are the type of outdoor people which eat meat. Otherwise maybe you could put in a small garden plot.

7. Glcameron

Glcameron Well-Known Member

I think you have to really go into what you think the buyer wants. Location is of course one of the major factors but you want to really look at what the buyer needs. If you have a buyer whom has family, you may want to go through the process of highlighting how the location and the home itself is great for the children. There are so many different ways you can pull the buyer in, staging the home appropriately, making sure they are able to see what makes the property different than any other, and simply going into detail about what they may want.

8. dianethare

dianethare Senior Investor

Re-modernizing the house with current times might work in one's favor...i think. Location too is a factor to consider, oh yes, security should not be forgotten too.. Those are the ways i could think of.. if I happen to remember more I'll definitely come back and add :)

9. dianethare

dianethare Senior Investor

Now this is something that has been on my mind like forever but i understand it costs an arm and a leg...landscaping, need to invest some money and call in a landscaper... my property truly needs a total makeover :)

10. missbishi

missbishi Well-Known Member

Of course location is key but I alos think that there's a great deal of value in getting the house up to a certain standard and leaving it as a blank canvas. I'll never bother with any more than basic decoration, preferring instead, to concentrate on good quality detail like skirtings and door furniture. I like to leave a house in such a condition that all the new owner needs to do is paint the walls whatever colour they like.