We’re at a point where we would be better off as a nation paying a bit more in taxes

Discussion in 'Politics Discussion' started by ash2014uk, Jul 4, 2014.

1. JR Ewing

JR Ewing Super Moderator Staff Member

We're NOT ready to accept govt control over things like healthcare - at least not those of us who are capable of rational thought. Anyone who was too poor to afford healthcare here could already get it. And health insurance does not = health care.

I voted for McCain in '08, Romney in '12, and for Republicans in congressional races during that time as well. I would never vote for anyone stupid enough to trust Obama and vote for the ACA without even reading it.

He lied about it, and spent most of his time during his first 2 years in office getting it drafted, lying to the American people about it & getting it pushed through... and it was forced through when the Dems had control of both houses of congress.

We're not Canada. If I wanted to live in a country more like Canada or Europe, I'd move to Canada or Europe. And I'd never be so arrogant to assume that I knew what was best for people in another country.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2014
  2. Raven82

Raven82 Active Member

And we should have Corporations pay "a little" more in taxes and drop more regulations on them so they totally quit hiring people and or just take off to Ireland or Switzerland.

3. Thejamal

Thejamal Guest

Except for the fact that there's a large contingent of people who aren't even close to being ready to accept government control over things like healthcare, myself included. I voted against it fully and think it's not right that so few people in the houses actually read the bill. Unfortunately, it's going to take people losing money and the ACA not to come close on delivering what it said it was going to do for people to wake up about it.

4. gmckee1985

gmckee1985 Senior Investor

I have a better idea. How about we tax business and individuals less, so they have more control over their money and what they do with it. Instead of trying to have a government centered society, let's have a people centered society where freedom in the operating principle of the whole society. Sounds good to me.

5. Brad321

Brad321 Active Member

I have been an advocate of a flat tax since the Steve Forbes days. There is simply no incentive to achieve anymore in this country. Many of our true entrepeneurs have simply given up. They now make enough to live comfortably as they realize there are decreasing benefits to achieve any further.

Even better than flat-rate taxes would be a national sales tax. Whoever consumes the most, pays the most. Nothing could be more fair than that. If you can afford a $1,000 car, you pay a sales tax on $1,000. If you can afford a $100,000 car, you pay a sales tax on $100,000. Consumption taxes and use taxes have always been the most fair.

We simply have things backwards with our graduated scale income taxes. The people who are producing the most and creating the most jobs are the ones you want to keep the most of their money so they can do the most good with it. The flawed premise is that government can decide how to use the money better than the proven successes who made it in the first place.