"We Are All Terrorists Now"

Discussion in 'Politics Discussion' started by Casper, Aug 20, 2014.

1. Casper

Casper Well-Known Member

On the heels of the gruesome and disgraceful ISIS clip of the beheading of American journalist James Foley, The UK's Scotland Yard, according to The Guardian, warned the public that

"viewing, downloading or disseminating the video within the UK might constitute a criminal offence under terrorism legislation."
    In other words

'if you watch terrorism, you're also a terrorist'.
    Of course, there is always this test...

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2014-08-20/its-official-we-are-all-terrorists-now

2. tomshanks

tomshanks Member

I wonder why they are making a statement like that or if the law actually reads like that, why does it? Has spreading information become punishable in the west?

3. Dixons

Dixons Member

That's absolutely ridiculous and I'm pretty sure it's false. Why would it be illegal to watch a video that is related to recent news. Sounds a lot like censorship to me.

4. dianethare

dianethare Senior Investor

Sounds pretty weird considering the media, social media, everywhere am walking/going is awash with this atrocity that happened to an innocent man, am i supposed to put on a blindfold and earplugs because of this tragedy?...now that would be foolish and ignorant ...wouldn't it be?

5. workinglady20

workinglady20 Well-Known Member

Yes that is a really crazy thing for sure because not everyone who watches something gory will turn out to be a terrorist. I have no interest in watching that video for the simple reason that it's too graphic for me and I can't sit through something like that. What happened was a very sad thing and I just wish these killings would stop.

6. gekko41

gekko41 Active Member

To play devil's advocate, I feel that it is wrong for officials and the press to try to censor the video from the public. The release of the video, similar to 9/11, has provided the public's support for military action. On the other hand, the video was horrible, and a part of me regrets watching it.

7. Ricardo187

Ricardo187 Member

I think this statement is too strict and unreasonable, but I can see where it comes from. These terrorism images can affect many people's mind and who knows some can be affected negatively by it. Also, the more visibility it has, the more they'll do it. ISIS must be taken down and there's no time to wait. It's a countdown, they're killing with no pardon, everyday, and as the days go, their army increases and more people lose their lives.

8. dianethare

dianethare Senior Investor

I like how you pose the question...true...they ought to give an answer {a definite one at that}.

9. Kael

Kael Guest

Persons should have to right to decide for themselves what they can and can not view. I really do like it when the media outlets regulate the news stories as if we are children. I agree with you, some videos are too much to handle, if you are not prepared to watch something gruesome.

10. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Guest

I do not agree that watching the beheadings makes you a terrorist. If anything it's censorship.