Weekly Jobless Claims For US Up?

Discussion in 'General Trading Discussion' started by healthandfitness, May 20, 2014.

1. Determined2014

Determined2014 Guest

I guess the economy is bad all over, there many jobless people all over the world, I do not think the employment rate can not keep on going up , it has to flactuate, so it is expected.

2. jondjacob

jondjacob Well-Known Member

The rate declined? What that indicates is that more people have jobs (technically), but what JR and I were commenting on is that this is likely not the case. Basically, this indicator is bogus, and really doesn't measure the level of employment accurately, it just measure the people in the job market actively searching per the governments records.

Yes, employment is down, not in small part to consumers demanding goods that are cheap and manufacturers creating more efficient processes (using less employees).

3. Poindexter

Poindexter New Member

Sorry, but you are mightily confused. The "Jobless Claims" figure tracks NEW applications for unemployment--i.e. people who have just lost a job filing for benies for the first time. The phenomenon you cite--people giving up looking--is very real and, as has been well documented, renders the headline monthly unemployment figure misleading. But it has zero impact on jobless claims.
    PS: Economists are saying the main reason July unemployment ticked up slightly was that those who had given up started hearing about signs of life in the job market and, so, have begun looking again.

4. jondjacob

jondjacob Well-Known Member

Okay, I can understand where you think my comment went wrong, as I was extrapolating an opinion off of this figure. I'll phrase it this way, because, at this point in the report in this thread, May 2014 the figure went down, people think that the economy is doing better (because of less jobless claims). In July, as you state the number went up, people might think that the economy is doing worse, because of the indicator going up, and technically, it wouldn't be the case.

My comments were based against the original postulation in the post that the trend of lower jobless claims figures means an improving economy.

PS: The unemployment figure is way off base, and artificially low at 6.2%.

5. lei

lei Member

Wow, that is pretty bad. I love how the government tries to cover it up and make it seem better than it actually is.

6. moneyman

moneyman Well-Known Member

Unemployment is in rise almost everywhere in the world except China since their growth of economy has boomed in a quick rise in the last years. These times companies won't hire new workforce but expect the workers work harder to keep the results.

7. Profit5500

Profit5500 Senior Investor

China is just going to have the largest economy since we keep importing stuff from them. China also they are buying out some American companies like Smithfield. Its like you never what is American and what is not anymore.

8. Strykstar

Strykstar Well-Known Member

Apparently the unemployment in the US is now at a 6-year low so it seems like the recovery is going relatively well.

9. Gelsemium

Gelsemium Senior Investor

We never know if those numbers are reliable Strykstar, governments just send out those statistics to the media, but sometimes reality is quite different.

10. Profit5500

Profit5500 Senior Investor

Regardless of numbers we have been seeing some results as in jobs coming around here. I still do not have one yet so I just try to do what I can. I mean the numbers will change over time so do not worry some time we would get better.