What country is getting benefits of/since the 2008 crisis?

Discussion in 'General Trading Discussion' started by WaveWage, Sep 6, 2015.

1. WaveWage

WaveWage Well-Known Member

I already talked here about the 2008 world crisis and the fact it still affects some of us, but often, there's winners that stands behind and stays quiet because, well, it's better to stay quiet and continue to earn in the meantime. There's no point to get other jealous and put light on us, after all.

So, I've a question: what country is getting more profit of this crisis, and what country is getting benefits since 2008? I have honestly not true idea without further analysis of the economical situation and GDP of the countries, but I guess some countries aren't affected by it because they work differently, or succeeded to get out of it nicely?

2. Rainman

Rainman Senior Investor

I don't believe there's any country which profited in any way from the 2008 recession. All countries were hit hard by it. Nonetheless there are some countries which weren't affected that much by 2008 crisis: Canada, Australia and India. Whether they profited in any way from recession or not, that I don't know.

3. Sunflogun

Sunflogun Well-Known Member

I don't know if any country is getting benefits, this is above countries, these are the private corporations, the giant octopuses that rule the world that benefited from that crisis...

4. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Senior Investor

I believe that there are some people still receiving help here in America if they were horribly impacted by the recession, but I don't think that any country really profited from the crisis. The idea was to instill programs so that people who lost their jobs did not lose everything they had. Many of the programs have now expired as far as I am aware.

5. Nox

Nox Guest

I think there are two separates types of countries that could have potentially "benefited" (and I use that word very loosely) from the sub-prime crisis. The first group I would say didn't necessarily benefit from the crisis, but were sheltered from the crisis were countries that secluded themselves from the rest of the global economy. For example I remember readying a study that found that a country like Ireland (which had the highest globalisation index score at the time if I'm not mistaken), was more adversely affected by the crisis because of contagion and its connection to the rest of the world. Conversely a country like Botswana which is a relatively sheltered and small economy was not ad adversely affected by the crisis. So while a country like Botswana did not necessarily gain from the crisis, the crisis did not leave the country in a significantly worse off position.

The second group of countries that has benefited from the crisis would be your emerging market economies. The search for higher returns drove capital out of countries like the US and into emerging market economies like Brazil, India and South Africa where yields were higher.